Oasis of the Seas is High and Dry. But in a good way.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Rotterdam
October 8th 2014
Published: October 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Bull Fighting RingBull Fighting RingBull Fighting Ring

Malaga, Spain
Hello again! Yet again things have changed significantly from my last blog. After sailing around the med for a couple weeks we sailed up to Rotterdam. At this point we’ve been in drydock for 8 days. It’s weird being in the same place every day, but I’m learning lots and seeing new things every day.

Our trip up to Rotterdam brought us back through the straight up Gibraltar and had a stop in Vigo, Spain. I was in Vigo 4 years ago on the Independence and It’s still one of my favourite ports I’ve been to. A 5 minute walk brings you to a street lined in outdoor restaurants serving some of the freshest seafood around. I also went up the hill which is topped by the remains of an old castle. The weather was amazing and yet again the port was lined with thousands of people seeing us off.

In Rotterdam we picked up the pilot very late at night so we could make it the 30 miles up the river to the downtown pier and get all the guests off. A very quick turnaround brought us to a 10 am departure partially down the river to the
Old Castle WallOld Castle WallOld Castle Wall

Vigo, Spain
drydock. A very tight maneuver brought us to a position right infront of the dock. All we had left to do was waiting for the tide and dropping off all the life boats. Everything went extremely smooth and we had 4 hours extra time to wait for the tide to be high enough to make it up onto the blocks. We made it perfectly in position so early that we actually closed the dock door and pumped some water out to hit the blocks instead of waiting for the tide.

The next day gave us the first views of the ship high and dry, and all the maintenance in the dock started very shortly after. On the contrary everything happening onboard started happening moments after all the guests left. I could not believe all the changes happening to the ship so fast. But we’ve got some amazing changes happening to the ship. And for the first time in a blog I feel photos are really the meat here, so enjoy the dozen photos attached to this blog.

This time next week I’ll have signed off the ship and will be in Bonn, Germany starting a 20 day trip around Germany, Denmark, and Iceland. Stay tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb