Delft / Schediam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Delft
July 13th 2011
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This blog will just go through the little time we spent in Scheidam and Delft (famous for their delftware china) on Monday (still on no sleep). Our trip to Scheidam was strictly to see the windmills there, after all what would a trip to the Netherlands be without seeing some windmills. Apparently, the windmills are used to help pump water out, due to the fact that most the country is below sea level. There isn't much to be said, for a windmill is a windmill. However, there are several small bridges that cross the canals throughout this country, and we found one that oddly enough is hand cranked up by two men. After letting the boat pass, they get on their bike/ scooter and make their way to the next bridge to allow the vessel to pass. We then took a small detour to the town of Delft; which is pretty cool. They have a very old church there from the 16th century, which as you may be able to see has a slight lean to it. Being the hunger strucken child that I am, we found a bakery and I had something called can appelflap (basically an apple turnover, but much better than whatever mcdonalds could put out)... After this, we found our way to a bar, oddly enough because I had to pee. Out of compulsion, we bough a round of beer, and the ohh so kind bartender poured us a shot of some typical dutch drink... it looked like motor oil and tasted like salt and licorice-- not good to say the least. We then made our way to the town square and got some photos of the 'new church,' built some time in the 1700s I think. Lastly, we made our way to the city gate that was constructed in i think the 14th or 15th century... Either way it was a cool little trip, enjoy the pic's....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb