The Zaanse Schans, Haarlem, Utrecht


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Haarlem
August 20th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Zaanse SchansZaanse SchansZaanse Schans

Some of the working windmills.
The Zaanse Schans is a township which lies in the industrial area along the River Zaan. Here lie perfect examples of homes as they were in days gone by, together with 6 working windmills, some of which have been reconstructed on this site, and some which have always stood on this site, but which have had bits and pieces from other windmills added to them to reconstruct them completely.

Of course it was raining! We took the train to Zaandam, then a bus to the Schans. On the way home we stayed on the bus just a little too long and ended up God knows where. Eventually, we found our way back to the Zaandam station and then went to the town of Haarlem. My hometown (or rather city) of Haarlem lies just north-east of Amsterdam, about 15 minutes by train. All the trappings of a big city, but maintaining the small-town charm for which it is famous. Here we enjoy the last serving of Flemish Fries we are to have in The Netherlands!

The following day, Sandra takes a trip to the city of Utrecht, 1/2 an hour south of Amsterdam. Here she meets up with her fellow band-members of 15 years ago for a quiet dinner. On the way home, her train hits a suicide jumper and is delayed, resulting in quite a late return to Amsterdam. Not a pleasant way to end an otherwise enjoyable and reminiscent dinner with old friends. If it wasn't for Sandra's instigating the dinner, they wouldn't have met up for 15 years again either!

Finally, on our last full day in Holland, we make a visit to the home of Mickey's brother, Guus and his wife Ilse. They have a marvellous conservatory full of gorgeous plants, and their house backs onto an inviting canal where PJ does a spot of fishing. The home is in Alkmaar where we'd previously spent time with their niece, Lizzie Dijkstra and family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

PJ up on the deck.PJ up on the deck.
PJ up on the deck.

This is how millers go up to the deck to move the sails around to face the wind.
Zaanse housesZaanse houses
Zaanse houses

Traditional green-painted houses in timber.
Great Market Place - HaarlemGreat Market Place - Haarlem
Great Market Place - Haarlem

The hub of all social activity.
Flemish FriesFlemish Fries
Flemish Fries

PJ getting his last portion in The netherlands!
Utrecht City Utrecht City
Utrecht City

Charming canal-side restaurants.
Streetscape- UtrechtStreetscape- Utrecht
Streetscape- Utrecht

Saint John's Square (Sint Jans)


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb