A Day at the Beach!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Haarlem
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Let the Sun Shine!Let the Sun Shine!Let the Sun Shine!

Fay, Carole, Guido and Anouk at the beach - what a beautiful day!
Today we woke up to a wonderful, bright, sunny day. We decided that it was the perfect day for a walk on the beach. We didn't arrive at the beach in the typical Dutch way (via bicycle) instead we drove. I'm convinced that it took slightly longer to drive the 15 minutes to the beach (with parking and the traffic delays). The Dutch certainly passed us in droves on their bikes. Once we arrived we were surprised to see the Dunes Guido and Carole had raved about looked very different from the dunes we see in the states. These are protected so you can only walk on the footpaths, and are covered in vegetation - grasses, bushes and trees. Once you drop down over the dunes you see a wonderfully long, wide, sandy beach. It was filled with families, couples and lots of dogs.

We set out for a nice stroll, and ended up quite a long ways down the beach (certainly 2 - 2.5 miles on way!) at a restaurant/bar where we had lunch. Despite the poor service, we had a nice time, the food and company were both excellent! Mom and I shared a tuna fish sandwich with
Kimarie, Carole, Guido and baby Anouk enjoy the sunKimarie, Carole, Guido and baby Anouk enjoy the sunKimarie, Carole, Guido and baby Anouk enjoy the sun

What a great way to spend our last day in Holland!
pine nuts and sprouts as well as a caprese salad. Along the beach I started collecting sea shells - surprised at the amazing collection of unbroken shells (they were EVERYWHERE!)

It was a fabulous day and we hated to see it end. We shared one last dinner with Guido, Carole and baby Anouk (smiling and talking throughout).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

She's a star!She's a star!
She's a star!

Baby Anouk shows her star quality at the beach bar! No autographs, please!
Stuck in the mud!Stuck in the mud!
Stuck in the mud!

Oops! Better try this at low tide instead! The Bugaboo can do everything EXCEPT navigate wet, squishy sand!
Kimarie Chez GoelitzKimarie Chez Goelitz
Kimarie Chez Goelitz

Here's Carole and Guido's front porch. Very welcoming - and VERY Dutch!
Via Bike - Very Dutch!Via Bike - Very Dutch!
Via Bike - Very Dutch!

You can do anything with a bike in Holland! Especially bring home a case of beer!


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb