Anything Goes In Amsterdam!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 25th 2006
Published: September 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

AmsterdamAmsterdamAmsterdam

Amsterdam has over 80 canals.
Amsterdam Bike Ride! (25th-30th July, 2006)
Bike Events UK (a bit like Bicycle Victoria) organised a week long bike ride through The Netherlands and Holland. Bern, Elizabeth and I were rather pleased to read that the highest point in The Netherlands was only 312 metres and this was not on our route. It was not going to be a very hilly bike ride and this was a good thing when there hadn't been much training!

Harwich to Hoek Van Holland to Noordwijk (Stayokay Hostel)
It was a very early start. Bern and I rode our bikes in to London Liverpool Street from East Finchley where we met Elizabeth and caught the train to Harwich International. From Harwich it was close to a 4 hour ferry trip across to Hoek Van Holland (Hook of Holland). We were totally unprepared for such a long ferry ride; no playing cards and no books! There was an on board cinema so we went and watched The Wild. It was a very hot 55km ride to Noordwijk through the sand dunes along the coast.

Noordwijk to Amsterdam (Stayokay Hostel, Vondelpark)
A leisurely 50km ride to Amsterdam. The hostel was in a fantastic location right next to Vondelpark. Vondelpark was very popular with musicians, people relaxing and having picnics and people riding through the park on their bikes selling cold heinekens, soft drink and chips. A very chilled out place where we had no problems in relaxing for a few hours. In the evening we checked out the Sex Museum (all Bern's idea!!). Elizabeth and I didn't want Bern going in on her own!
It seems that almost everyone rides a bicycle in Amsterdam. There are definitely more bikes than cars. And being so flat there are very few bikes with gears.

Amsterdam (Rest Day)
We took a free morning walking tour around Amsterdam and learnt a great deal more about the Red Light District. Prostitution is a well respected profession in Amsterdam. The streets in the Red Light District are lined with rooms that are rented out for 200 euro per 8 hour shift. Women parade behind windows, on balconies and in doorways waiting for their next customer. Apparently my grandfather has told some stories about the Red Light District when he and my grandmother were there over 50 years ago. I think he held on to my grandmother very tightly after coming
HarlemHarlemHarlem

On the way to Amsterdam from Noordwijk.
close to ending up in one of the rooms involuntarily!
We really enjoyed the Heineken Experience in the afternoon at the site of the old Heineken Brewery in Amsterdam. The set up was really well done.
The evenings activities are a little more difficult to describe so all I will say is beware of the 'chocolate cake/brownie' that is sold in 'coffee shops' in Amsterdam!

Amsterdam (Rest Day)
Another day to explore Amsterdam. We did a bus tour for the morning stopping at Zaanse Schans where there is a windmill village and clog maker. We then stopped in beautiful Volendam which is a cute traditional little fishing village. From Volendam we caught the ferry across to Marken, another fishing village before heading back to Amsterdam. It was great to see these places but we decided that a bus tour wasn't the best way to go. We felt like sheep being herded from one place to another.
In the afternoon we went to the Ann Franke Museum which was really well done and has inspired me to ready her diary.
A quiet evening of cards and reflecting on the events of the evening before!

Amsterdam to Rotterdam (Stayokay Hostel)
A really beautiful ride (88km) to Rotterdam. Big windmills as we rode through the countryside. Unfortunately no fields of tulips as it was the wrong season. There was a Carribbean street parade as we rode through the city of Rotterdam and loads of street stalls.

Rotterdam to Hoek Van Holland to Harwich
An easy 35km ride (not the prettiest) back to the Hook of Holland where we took the ferry back to Harwich.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Giant Clog!Giant Clog!
Giant Clog!

Bern & Elizabeth in the Giant Clog!


Tot: 0.553s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 97; dbt: 0.3135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb