Europe Potpourri - 22


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 17th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in Amsterdam this evening. Schiphol Airport is a beehive of commercial activity. The more one walks it the more one runs across shops and restaurants of all kinds. Having picked up our tour tickets for Thursday's events and the shuttle tickets to get to our hotel, we headed off to get settled in.

Our hotel is modest, came well recommended and ideally suited for what we needed, especially its location (we thoroughly check all reviews before deciding on any accommodation). We learnt that it is owned by a Turkish family and we were greeted with Cappucino then found our room on the second floor overlooking a garden at the back. With wifi set up we telephoned a friend in The Hague to confirm that we will be visiting herself and husband in the morning which we will do by train. It is all arranged as we took the tram just outside our front door down to Amsterdam Central to secure tickets for the fifty minute ride in the morning.

Then it was time to eat and following the receptionist's recommendation we showed up at Moeders which was located nearby and only about two canals walk away.
Moeders unique atmosphereMoeders unique atmosphereMoeders unique atmosphere

The meal, typically Dutch, was excellent and just too much for two people.
We should have had a reservation but the manger found us a table for two. On entering we were immediately struck by its unique decore with walls covered by pictures of mothers. The manager explained that no piece of dinnerware was identical as everything had been given to them by one mother or another, hence the name.

We chose to have a sampling of typical Dutch food and were quite shocked at the quantity of food put before us. The taste was amazing but it was far too much for us and could easily have fed three or four adults. Clients quickly filled the small restaurant and it was obvious that Moeders had an excellent reputation.

With a fairly busy schedule planned for the following day we decided to see what the world famous red light district was all about. We had a little difficulty finding it and almost gave up trying as different people gave us conflicting directions. Walking down one or two rather seedy dark and narrow avenues was a little disconcerting for Jeanette who felt uncomfortable enough to want to return to the hotel. Finally we were put on the right track and in two blocks we arrived.

It is something to see it live rather then simply read about it. Huge crowds walked around and we passed several cafes, restaurants and coffee shops, crossed a small bridge and we were in the midst of it all. Attractive young women filled the small show windows advertising themselves while curiosity seekers like ourselves and potential clients walked the alleys. It is prohibited to take pictures and one young lady opened her door to shout at a passing violator. Having seen it, we returned to our hotel for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



24th July 2012

like the pics! thanks for sharing!
24th June 2013

New Blog
See my latest blog on Saint Lucia. Roger

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb