Amsterdam take 2


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
June 11th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Another bikeAnother bikeAnother bike

Even in the Heineken factory there is a bike! Bikes everywhere in Amsterdam!
We arrived in Amsterdam yesterday afternoon.

The Excess Baggage Experience

The flight over was quick and turned out to be expensive!

Our transfer guy picked us up on time and were at Heathrow with lots of time to spare. When we checked in we were shocked to find out we were 20kg overweight! That's for 2 of us! We had got so used to chucking all our stuff in our suitcases that we didn't think of overloading our carry-ons! We managed to talk the check-in woman to let us off 10kgs...but still at 5 pounds a kilo that's 50 pounds! ARGH! The actual flight only cost us $50 AUD each!

Dazed we got some breakfast/lunch from Boots Pharmacy. They have a 3.30 pounds meal deal - any sandwhich, drink and packet of chips. We couldn't even think about buying anything over 5 pounds.

The plane was tiny! It was a 1 by 2 seater across! When we stepped onto the tarmac they had this trolley where people were dumping their heavy hand-carrys onto! We were kicking ourselves!

After 50 mins or so we had arrived in Amsterdam. To save money we decided to try out
A big Aussie hugA big Aussie hugA big Aussie hug

Todd loves his beer
the train. It was about 8 Euro each. We struggled (or Todd mainly) with the suitcases onto the trains. We made it to Amsterdam Central. We got off the platform and asked Information where our hotel was. She said to go back one station!!! We was so tired, hot and annoyed that I insisted we take a taxi. Our suitcases were so heavy that lugging it back on and off would be too much trouble.

The taxi drove us to our hotel which turned out to be about 5km from the city centre. It was in the middle of nowhere. Well kind of near a lot of business parks. There was a Burger King next door but that's about it. The taxi cost us close to what we would have paid had we taken it from the airport!

The actual hotel (Ibis Westcorner) was quite nice. Being only a couple months old everything was brand new. The staff were really friendly too and gave us orange Holland supporter shirts for today's game. We felt slightly better after such a tiring day.

After settling in for an hour or so we decided to go into the centre. We walked from the hotel to the train station (about 10-15 mins), bought tickets and ended up back at Amsterdam Central. As it was nearly closing time, only restaurants, cafes, coffee shops and some souvenir shops were open. Todd bought a scarf and then we went straight back to the hotel.

Absolutely exhausted Todd made Mi Goreng for dinner. I re-packed my suitcase (taking out kilos of stuff - peanut butter, trackies, toiletries, etc), had a shower and then went to bed. Todd watched the soccer on tv.

The Heineken Experience

We got up early this morning, packed/unpacked our suitcases, checked out then caught a bus and tram to the Heineken factory. How much fun is it! For 10 Euros it is a bargain! We spent 2.5 hours doing the self-guided tour, playing with all the interactive games and drinking free beers! Todd had 4 beers before midday (I couldn't finish my one!).

See what else we got up to:
http://bluescreen.bitmove.tv/bitmove/bluescreen/index.jsp?uid=C7DFD1EF5508252D4CC2EAF47BDA87B9&format=wmv
http://www.heinekenexperience.com/vidEmail.jsp?uid=EB86A45A1ADEAC9C6C3D2E7262F1F5B4&vid=jess_n_tod110606111920.WMV&host=hexperience3.bitmove.tv&format=wmv

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb