Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 5th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We stayed a little out of the town but we were right by the tram line and the hostel was nice, clean and new so it was good. Unfortunately the weather was not so nice and it was so cold, we both think we haven't packed enough winter clothes.

We decided not to do the free walking tour and went off and discovered Amsterdam ourselves. It was small enough and we found we could do all the major sights by walking.


I enjoyed wondering around the city dodging cars, people, trams and the millions of bikes I have never seen so many in my life. They even have a car park for bikes only.



We had a hot dog for lunch then hit one of the coffee shops to sample some of the Amsterdam life, we found a really nice one with lots of colourful paintings on the walls. We then made our way to the Sex Museum which was fun to see, they had an animatronic flasher, flashing every one who walked by.











The next day we spent the morning in the hostel sorting out our day, then decided to hire bikes and ride around the city. It was a risky decision because the clouds looked so grey. Never-the-less we did it any way and as soon as we got outside it was raining, it wasn't long before we were soaked. It was still fun riding around the city especially when we found the bells on our bike Dale loved ringing his.








I wanted to see Anne Frank's house so we went there and I lined up in the rain for 20 mins. Dale decided not to come in so went off for another bike ride and managed to stay dry at KFC.

I loved Anne Franks house it was a reminder of how bad life was back in war times. It was nice to take my time to look around and I enjoyed my time alone to reflect. It was crazy to think that 8 people lived in such a small space for so long.


After my time in Anne Franks house I was happy to meet up with Dale again and tell him all about what I had just seen, and find out what he had done. We then decided to ride to Vondelpark, where sex has been made legal (not that we had that in our agenda). It started to rain again so we stopped in a nice cafe and had a yummy hot chocolate, which warmed us up.








We were so tired, cold and hungry by the end of the day but we really wanted to stay in town and do the tour of the red light district. We ended up taking a peek ourselves and saw more than enough and saving 20 euro.









The ride back to the hostel was fun, we found a nice road with no cars and lots of space to ride and went fast ringing our bells all the way. We also saw a cool windmill and took a quick picture.





What a great time we had!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

HousesHouses
Houses

These are on a lean


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb