DAM!!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
December 3rd 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

WindmillsWindmillsWindmills

We LOVED the actually authentic windmills in the not-so-authentic town of Zanse Schanse!
We enjoyed Madrid (for the most part), but were excited to move on to Amsterdam, after all, we love the Dutch! Our first night we went out on a walk in search of the famous red light district (first things first of course), and enjoyed some Heineken and some delicious ollieballen. Our evening in the hostel was spent with a gentleman who liked to sleep in speedos...let's just say we saw more than our fair share of skin that evening! After visiting the Anne Frank house and the blue delft shop, we found a cafe where we ate a dutch pancake and Ani had sneert, mmmm! Liz and Ani took a canal tour while eating stroopwaffles (okay, so we are apparently eating a lot in Amsterdam), and we also visited a smoky coffeeshop and had some spacecake...we feel it´s only right to immerse ourselves in the culture of the places we visit, right?! The next day Liz and Ani ventured out in search of a more traditional Holland...let´s just say we found the closest thing to dutch disneyland as you can get...but we can´t completey knock Zanse Schanse because we did get to see lots of of klompen, play in (and probably illegally on) a windmill, and taste-test a bunch of cheese (maybe a little too much cheese). We hoped to find some koek here, but the quest continues. The trip drama peaked (or at least we´re hoping so for now), when the atm decided to eat Liz´s only source of cash and not give it back...ever. Thanks a lot Wells Fargo, for making our trip so easy and breezy (in case you can´t sense the sarcasm through text, I am really stronly suggesting that everyone we know cancel s their Wells Fargo accounts...we are not big fans). After extending our stay we had some extra time to visit the Van Gogh museum, and take our new Brazilian hostel buddy (not the one in speedos) "out for coffee." Turns out that it seems to be a European trend to strike, any reason will do really, and the Dutch students decided to do it because they want less time in school. But since nothing else was open we went to the grocery store to find dutch goodies, where we found the best goodie of all...we love koek! And we love Amsterdam!!

Favorite Amsterdam fact: one car a week drives into the
Olliebollen!!!Olliebollen!!!Olliebollen!!!

Enjoying some delicious Dutch doughnut-holes in Leidseplein (the center of Amsterdam)
canals (heehee)
Number of important items we came with but will not be returning with: 2


Advertisement



12th December 2007

And why wouldnt you? Amsterdam is the land of joy and love and illegal activties! It appers that flat jon must of had some bar/drug using brawl with flat lex!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb