Drugs, Sex and Bicycles


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 26th 2007
Published: August 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trish at The Dam (Main Square)Trish at The Dam (Main Square)Trish at The Dam (Main Square)

About to get run over by a wayward Fiesta.
Yep, this blogs for our time in Amsterdam.

But firstly we need to apologies for being very lazy in the blog writing department. We didn't realise how long it had been until we realised we're on the other side of the continent now (Poland!!). So we figured we'd pre-date these babies and get typing.

Also apologies for the mix up with the blogs and any extra emails you guys have been getting. The site had a server failure and loads of blogs were lost. We have managed to restore them (with different pics so have another looksy) and promise to keep back ups from now on so it should be easier now. Thanks Jo (G) for finding our orphaned blog - not sure how you did it but it meant that we got it back as we couldn't find it elsewhere!!

Anyway formalities aside, we left you at Brugges in Belgium gorging ourselves on beer, waffles and strange sounding burgers. After helping the city of Brugges celebrate their national day with a big singalong on Saturday night we caught the train to Amsterdam the next day.

This blog is aptly named because you will find all 3 in excess in Amsterdam. Aside from the seemingly seedy nature it is actually a really pretty city and has a lovely laid back feel to it. There are more bikes than people and apparently bike theft is the highest crime in the city. The city is interwoven with canals and we enjoyed a lovely pedal boat ride down them. We did get a bit lost but found our way back - just a bit scary when the big momma tourist boats try to squeeze past you!!! We extended our stay in Amsterdam as we didn't think 3 days was enough to enjoy it. We are really glad we did.

We did a lot of meandering the canals and relaxing. Our visit to the Anne Frank House Museum was a real reminder of the recent history of this place and others we will visit on our travels. As for the infamous red light district, we visited both at night and during the day. It is true what they say but we found it felt safer than Northbridge at night. The Dutch are fiercely proud of their tolerance policies and in our opinion it works. Sure there were a few dodgy characters late at night muttering the names of illicit substances in the hope that your ears will prick up and they'll make a deal but other than that it is just full of tourists trying not to look. 😊 There are more coffee shops than backpackers - and that is saying something! And you get used to smelling like a kaftan wearing teen in the 60's.

The "Red Light District" is appropriately named because the whole area glows red after dark from the red lights in the windows of the "working girls." The district consists of about a block of windows, coffee shops, sex shows and bars (usually attached to one of the businesses listed). According to Dutch law, a coffee shop can sell marijuana or blow as it is called over here but not in the same establishment as alcohol. Most places get around this by having two entrances. Of course it is okay to smoke anywhere in the pub and you see some people light up some massive joints!!

We planned to head from here to the Rhine Valley in Germany but because we extended our stay in Amsterdam we had to cancel (full on tourist season over here and no vacancies anywhere). So our grand plan was to catch an overnight train to Copenhagen, Denmark. It all fell in a heap when, after waiting 2 and a half hours at the reservations desk in Amsterdam a few hours before the train left thinking no one else will want to spend a night on the train to Copenhagen and forgetting that Amsterdam is Backpacker Central, we were told there was no seats available. We luckily found accommodation in Amsterdam that night and left the next morning.


Advertisement



12th August 2007

Hey There!
Glad to hear that you havent fallen off the face of the EARTH!! I'm happy that what ever i had done was able to save your blog as it was very lonely not having anything to read. well any way have lots of fun and travel safe and keep the BLOGS coming.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb