Gifting


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Gelderland » Nijmegen
February 15th 2012
Published: February 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Women have a more equalized role as men here, which I believe puts some truth in the "going Dutch" saying we have. Although they don't normally "go Dutch" it's not uncommon for couples that have been together for a while to split costs, but you see that in America too.



The girls aren't necessarily more forward, but they seem to enjoy flirting. They do this thing called gifting, which basically means if any girl gives you something then she is showing her interest in you. And it doesn't just have to be a drink, it could be anything. A glow stick neclace, or her scarf or something like that. The people also are very friendly, and when you meet a new friend they like to buy you a drink as sort of a 'hello'.



There is a carnaval coming up this weekend, and from the descriptions it's like mardi gras combined with halloween. Everybody dresses up for a couple of days, gets super drunk, and that's the end of it. I asked what was the purpose of it, and they said it's a party for the sake of having a party. Something about it started because the people lived boring, mundane lives, and were getting upset. So they decided to have a 3-day party every year on the same time to keep the citizens happy, and it's slowly evolved into a nation-wide celebration of debauchery.



I have tons of pictures but my iphone is in my room so I'll upload later probably just to facebook

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb