Podgorica and Bar: Day 17 to 21


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Podgorica
June 24th 2023
Published: July 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Lake SkadarLake SkadarLake Skadar

Lake Skadar seen from the Podgorica to Bar train
I landed in the capital of Montenegro, Podgorica from Tel Aviv.

Most people use Podgorica as a city to just fly into (you could also fly into Tivat in Montenegro, but I have planned a circular route and hence Podgorica suited me better).

After a night of rest, I took the train from Podgorica to Bar, a city down southern part of Montenegro, on the Adriatic Sea. This train route is part of the famous Belgrade to Bar circuit and Podgorica to Bar is the nicer part of the journey. The views of open fields and Lake Skadar were indeed pretty.

At Bar, I spend 3 nights.

The first day, I went to Stari Bar (Old Bar), a small town established in the 11th century AD by the Byzantines. The fortress and most of the original old town lays in ruins now after the earthquake in 1979, but it was still a charming place. Surrounded by mountains and the wind whistling through, the place gave a sense is serenity I enjoyed a lot.

The second day, I went to Lake Skadar, the largest lake in Southern Europe, at the Montenegro and Albania border.

On the
Stari BarStari BarStari Bar

Entrance path to Stari Bar
Montenegro side, it's a National Park, supporting 270+ bird species, including the last of the Pelicans in Europe (I did see one).

The boat ride was beautiful, saw lots of birds (herons, seagulls, ducks). I only wish we would move to non-motorized boats on natural lakes, given how much biodiversity depends on these systems.

On the last day, I explored Bar itself and spent some time in the Adriatic Sea. Bar has a lovely, long promenade on the sea, frequented by locals and tourists alike and presents a very dramatic sunset.

I found Bar quiet, charming and while tourists come there, it's not overrun by them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Stari BarStari Bar
Stari Bar

Stari Bar, nature takes over when man leaves
Lake Skadar Lake Skadar
Lake Skadar

The algae in places makes the waters of Lake Skadar this green
Lake Skadar Lake Skadar
Lake Skadar

Saw lot of birds having made nests on these leaves at Lake Skadar
BarBar
Bar

Sunset on the Adriatic Sea at Bar
BarBar
Bar

Sunset on the Adriatic Sea at Bar


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb