Leaving Venice, to Montenegro


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor
October 8th 2012
Published: October 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in Venice we decided we should go and have a look at the Venice Casino - so off we went and walked until we found it and on arrival had to register and then in we went to play - well, even John decided to have a bit of a flutter on the pokies. Almost instantly he won around 53 free games and walked out with 60 Euros!! I walked out empty handed but amazed that one - John even played the pokies and secondly that he won... cheeky bugger. So what did he do - yes he went and bought those tartan pants...so look out!

Our Adelaide friends & tour group arrived in Venice and we all went to the same restaurant for dinner where we went on our first night which thankfully lived up to its reputation and everyone enjoyed the food and even better ambience.

The following day was to board the ship so all that was organised and we got through customs, and were allowed to purchase alcohol in the duty free - normally you can buy it and the ship will store it for you until you leave BUT not this time... despite a big sign here and there - no one checked our alcohol supplies so we have it in our rooms and of course are drinking it... as you do.

Leaving Venice was wonderful as you go between the islands and Venice itself to get out to sea so we got to see a lot more of Venice.... thought we'd walked it all while staying there but not quite apparently!

On the first night dinner we were with 6 other people from Adelaide and were having a fine time when a group of waiters and other staff stood behind John and I and put a chocolate cake with a candle on it and they started singing a Happy Anniversary song - well this stopped most of the restaurant who wanted to see what all the fuss was about, the singing and the music.... also the very embarrassed couple who weren't even having any type of celebration except for their delayed honeymoon.... but we were gracious and thanked them all for their efforts.......

There is heaps to do on the ship and a lot of excursions as well- we only have a few days at Sea and a long list of things to do on the ship throughout the day and night so you never are lost for a choice of things to do - something on all the time for all types of entertainment.

Prior to leaving Venice everyone had to go through the usual compulsory Emergency Drill - we went in the lift with a familiar looking man who stood next to us for the drill and so of course we go chatting and it turned out to be David Sladden whom I had known some years ago via a friend - finally remembered which friend I had met him through - just to find out that the friend and his gorgeous wife were also on the same cruise as us!!! Steve & Marlene Chapman - have known them for about 20 - 25 years but have lost touch over the last few years since moving to Qld.

Yesterday we had our first stopover at Kotor, Montenegro - the ship veered it's way in between the island thoroughfare and what we saw was an amazing view of both sides of Montenegro - what an unusual place it is - it's mountainous with the most gorgeous cottages all over the place and churches and ancient buildings high up in the mountains where you could go on a walk to have a look if you're brave enough. Also an Old Town in the middle of the town itself. You could go on any number of excursions there or just wander around on your own which is what we did.

Some high points of Kotor are the City Wall, Grgurina Palace, Drago Palace, Pima Palace and a few other palaces and the Basilica of St Luke, and the Napoleon Theatre which dates back to 1810 and is now the local town hall. The most recognized land mark would have to be the Clock Tower in the city opposite the main gate.

We went to see the old town where as you can imagine - pretty old and some narrow lanes and shops everywhere well tiny shops really, and down one narrow alley way we saw a wedding party come through the town - very nice but not sure if it was done as a tourist attraction or was an authentic wedding. Also saw a few beggars on the streets there, one was a mum with a young, crying child....

Today we learnt that there are demonstrations in Athens which is our next port of call. We have been warned to avoid the city area in Athens and take other excursions rather than being involved or anywhere near the demonstrations - I will drink to that!! Like everyone else we certainly will avoid it and may even stay on board but will see what happens in the morning.

John has enjoyed a dip in the pool - says it's a bit cool in that particular pool but there are a few to choose from. We've just been up to the Crow's Desk for Happy Hour with the troops and caught up with old Adelaide friends and will finish this off shortly and head off for dinner. We're on our own tonight which will be nice and quiet and we've already had a main meal at lunch time. Phil Hoffman Travel have handed out a few dinner and lunch tickets for specialty restaurants where you would normally pay up to $25 each plus your wines.. depending on the restaurant so we went to one of these at lunch time.

The majority of the restaurants are included in the price of your fare but the speciality ones you pay more for. All wines etc are extra.

Most of the photos are from Montenegro here so hope you enjoy these ones.

Until next time stay well and healthy! xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb