Exploring Montenegro


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor » Kotor
August 14th 2016
Published: September 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Montenegro


Montenegro, aka "Black Mountain" as expected, a country with only mountain roads. We entered the country without any special border formalities. This country was on my bucket list and off course initial research was done prior the visit.

Our first stop is at "Sveti Stefan". This is a small island with a connection to the shore. It is known as the Monaco of the Adriatic coast, where these days the high profile elites are visiting the resort. We attempted a chance to look the island from close.

When we arrived to the beach in front of the island, we immediately got an impression regarding the visitors. Ladies were going to the beach dressed like they were going to the theater. Also the prices of renting a beach chair were insane. 60 euros if you want to rent at the line closest to the sea!

entering the island was unfortunately not possible. The security allows only the visitors of the resort to pass.

slowly it was time to continue and find some accommodation. We continued to our second stop, Budva.



Searching for some accommodation during high-season at arrival is not an easy job. Most of the hotels and pensions were completely full. However we were lucky that we managed to find a room in ha 'hotel' without any star classification. For sure it was not the best hotel where we would like to stay but since we didn't had much choice we booked 2 nights.



After settling at the hotel, we went to the boulevard and walked to the direction of the historical town. Budva is 2,500 years old, which makes it one of the oldest settlements on the Adriatic coast.



The Old Town of Budva is situated on a rocky peninsula, on the southern end of Budva field. Archaeological evidence suggests that Illyrian settlement was formed on the site of the Old Town before Greek colonization of the Adriatic. While the site was permanently settled since Roman era, most of existing city walls and buildings were erected during the Venetian rule. The town is encircled with defensive stone walls. The fortifications of Budva are typical of the Medieval walled cities of the Adriatic, complete with towers, embrasures, fortified city gates and a citadel. Today, it is a prime visitor attraction of Budva, packed with tourists during the summer months. Its narrow cobbled streets are lined with restaurants, cafes, pubs and shops.



The boulevard outside the old town is full of clubs. Budva is also a popular party place. The average prices are low compared to similar places. The waiters at restaurants are not at the best level of keeping customers satisfied, but passable. We ate our dinner at one of the restaurants at the boulevard and walked to the old town. The old town is a typical medieval city where I can spent hours walking and looking to all the architecture. For sure the authorities kept the city very clean and maintained. After we spent our evening, as long as we could with a little child, we took some drinks at the bar/pub just outside the city. After taking some beers and enjoying the live music it was time again to go to our room. Time to sleep for the little one....

The next day we spent the whole day by relaxing. We rented a beach chair and spent the whole day at the sea. in the evening after our dinner we went to the playgrounds and fun fair. Since our son was not causing any issues during the journey we rewarded him.



The next morning it was again time to continue. After a short drive we arrived to of Kotor.

The old Mediterranean port of Kotor is surrounded by fortifications built during the Venetian period. It is located on the Bay of Kotor (Boka Kotorska), one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea. Some have called it the southern-most fjord in Europe, but it is a ria, a submerged river canyon. Together with the nearly overhanging limestone cliffs of Orjen and Lovćen, Kotor and its surrounding area form an impressive and picturesque Mediterranean landscape.



In recent years, Kotor has seen an increase in tourists, many of them coming by cruise ship. Visitors are attracted by the natural environment of the Gulf of Kotor and by the old town of Kotor. The fortified city of Kotor was also included in UNESCO's World Heritage Site list as part of Venetian Works of Defence between 15th and 17th centuries.



After visiting the old town we drove all around the Kotor bay instead of taking the ferry. When we made a short stop we regret that we did not made a boat trip at the bay. Next time we will for sure! We can write many lines about Kotor and Kotor bay, but it can not be described in words. you really have to experience it.



By visiting the bay it was also the end for us for exploring Montenegro. From the bay we continued towards the border of Croatia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb