Old Bazzar Skopje


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Skopje
February 9th 2021
Published: February 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 8th February- Skopje - Macedonia



The territory of Skopje has been inhabited since at least 4000 BC



Skopje was deeply impacted by the 26th July 1963 earthquake which destroyed 80%!o(MISSING)f the city, and by the reconstruction that followed. Neighbourhoods were rebuilt in such a way that the demographic density remains low to limit the impact of potential future earthquakes.



The earthquake left the city with few historical monuments, apart from the Ottoman ‘Old Bazaar’ which is where our tour with Zoran takes us today.



Overlooking a Hamam,Turkish bath that was built by the grand vizier of Rumelija, Daut Pasha in the 15th century. The first time it was used was for the needs of its harem, and later it served as a public bath. Today, the Turkish baths hold concerts & theatre performances.



The Old Bazaar one of the oldest and largest marketplaces in the Balkans.

The first documented evidence date from the 12th century.

As in many Byzantine metropolises, in Skopje in the 13th century a huge covered shopping center was built, one of the biggest ones in the Empire. The
Old Bazaar got its fame during the 16th and 17th century. It was one of the most important towns and bazaars on the Balkan region. By 1689, the Bazaar had over 2150 craft shops but all of them were burned to ashes as the Austrian General Piccolomini set the town on fire. The towns was rebuilt again and in 1908 over 700 were caught on fire again. However, unfortunate disaster hit the city in 1963. The earthquake was fatal. Despite all the disastrous events, the Bazaar continues to exist and every corner has a different story to tell which Zoran was pleased to share with us.



We entered through an arch into a courtyard caravanserais.

A caravanserais was a roadside inn where travelers could rest and recover from the day's journey. Caravanserais supported the flow of commerce, information and people across the network of Trade Routes covering Asia, North Africa, Southeast Europe & most notably the Silk Road. It now houses student accommodation.



Another Hamam, The Čifte Hamam (Turkish for 'double bath'), in the centre of the old bazaar was built in the 15th century. The building is divided into two wings (hence
the name 'double'): one for men and one for women, this was used as a bathhouse until 1915. After suffering damages during the 1963 earthquake, it was repaired is now a Contemporary Art Gallery



Someone on the tour asked about typical food in Skopje - seems it’s baked beans ! No not the Heinz variety by spicy ‘Destan’

Another favourite dish was Börek, a family of baked filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough such as phyllo or yufka, typically filled with meat.



We passed by a 15th century mosque but worshippers were about to exit so we continued along the lanes doing a bit of window shopping.



We entered into narrow cobbled alleys into what was an area that in years gone by had locked gates, this was to protect the valuable textiles that were being sold there.



Next was a small church Holy Saviour.

The church was built at the end of the 17th century, inside the church there is a fragment of fresco painting that once belonged to the older church on whose foundations this church stands today. The church is half
dug in the ground because in the time when it was built Macedonia was under Turkish oppression and the authorities did not permit Christian sanctuaries to dominate the space.

In the courtyard is the tomb of the Macedonian revolutionary Goce Delchev.



Zoran was very personable, answered every question, and added a touch of humor. His personality was so pleasant, I felt as if I were a friend walking along beside of him. The tour was full of wonderful information, including history, customs, food and more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement





Tot: 0.469s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb