August 12 2015 Ohrid to Resen


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Ohrid
August 12th 2015
Published: May 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Set off early as we knew we had a big day but didn't really know where we'd end up. We often have a plan to stay at a certain place but upon arrival at the destination we discover that there's no where to stay. Today was no exception.

We set off after breaky at a local cafe and the GPS thought that it s funny to send us past the same block of apartments.... Three bloody times.

Once we were on the right road we soon had Lake Ohrid on our right as we cycled south in order to miss the freeway and take the scenic and much longer and harder route over the mountains. The lake ride was quite pleasant as a cool breeze came off the water. We then started to climb and turned inland. After about 4-5 kms of climbing we turned in to the National Park and began the climb over the mountains proper. 14 kms of unrelenting switchbacks to finish at 5,200 ft. Stopped for the obligatory photos at the top with my trusty Aussie flag which has incidentally been up more mountains than Ed Hillary and traveled more oceans that Sinbad. Thought that the ride down would be fun but road conditions and a raging headwind meant that we had to pedal down hill and take care to avoid huge pot holes. We'd planned to stay at Drmeni but when we arrived we found that there wasn't a hotel despite what Google said. It was a long 7 kms to Resen which had only one hotel in the town.

After we booked in a shower was high on the agenda. Seemed large enough at first glance. Taps were working which is a bonus. Pressure was good. Only problem was that the water squirted everywhere but down. Anyway after a quick look at my Mcguiver book I rigged something up to get it squirting down. Heaven.

A few beers in town and dinner and it was all over for both Gus and I by 9.15 pm. Lol


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb