Luxembourg Day 2


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
June 4th 2015
Published: June 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The bridge leading to the Bock CasementsThe bridge leading to the Bock CasementsThe bridge leading to the Bock Casements

The bridge leading to the Bock Casements
My thought about the countries so far:

Scotland - Cold, windy, beautiful! Drive on the wrong side. People are friendly. Galic is weird! Really like Irn Bru soda! Neil, our guide rocks!

Germany - Warmer, but windy on the Rhine. Enchanting towns. Everyone rides bicycles. Inexpensive for a tourist area. Dogs are everywhere... even restaurants, stores, and train stations!

Luxembourg - It may be the country with the highest income per capita in the world, but they don't keep their streets and public places very clean! Spend some money on public maintenance! Clothing... women's at least, is expensive! Lower Luxembourg City (Base?) is quite pretty.

Today we had our first breakfast experience in the hostel. Standard fare, except for the coffee/cappuccino machine. After breakfast, we bought the Luxembourg Card so we could use all the bus and train transport for free, plus enter many places for free. We wanted two tickets, one with a senior's discount, but the hostel said they can't sell the senior's card, so they sold us a "family" card like it was a discount, but actually, at 38 Euros, it was more expensive than two cards at 13 Euros each! After looking at
The train trestle above our hostelThe train trestle above our hostelThe train trestle above our hostel

The train trestle above our hostel
all the stuff we could see and do for free, we decided to check out the Bock Casements, a very large serious of underground passages and rooms that were used as late as WWII for defense and where the citizens could flee for protection. It was quite close to the hostel, but when we got there around 9am, they told us they didn't open until 10, so we decided on our second choice, Fort Thüngen, a historic fortification just above the hostel. It was a bit of a hike, but the fort and its museum were quite interesting and well worth the trip. Afterwards, we look over the Luxembourg Card brochure again and decided to head to Vianden, a town a ways outside of the city that offered some interesting things.

Everything started out fine, catching the bus to Gare Central, for free, but then we had to figure out how to get to Vianden. We finally found a transport information office at the station where they told us we had to take a train to Ettelbruck (sp?), then a bus from there to Vianden. Being able to use our card for both, and having plenty of time, we
Entering Thungen Fort groundsEntering Thungen Fort groundsEntering Thungen Fort grounds

Entering Thungen Fort grounds
set out, grabbing the train to Ettelbruck. When we got there just after noon, we found the departure timetable for buses and realized they only ran every couple of hours and we had no idea when the return bus ran, so we had to admit defeat and just stroll around Ettelbruck for a while, then take the train back to Luxembourg City. Remembering our first attempt at the Bock Casements, we decided to try again. When we reached the casements, Manoli got itchy about going inside, underground, somewhat in the dark, and with no quick exits, so she backed out. It would have been difficult, if not impossible for her, but I figured I'd have a go at it anyways. The Bock Casements are a little maze of tunnels and rooms, all underground and some quite dark to the point you could hardly see your feet in front of you. A unique experience and well worth the time. When I finally exited, I reassured Manoli that she had made the right choice, then since we hadn't had anything to eat again, since breakfast, except an ice cream bar in Ettelbruck, we headed back up to the busy streets above.
Thungen FortThungen FortThungen Fort

Thungen Fort

We remembered the Rue Cure where we'd noticed an inexpensive but interesting looking fast food place, so off we went. The shop is called La Fournee Doree and they have a good assortment of unusual things such as sandwiches, pasta "boxes", pastries, and soft-serve ice cream. Manoli decided on a couscous dish and I had a small pasta box and an option for ice cream. Everything was quite good and inexpensive. The small pasta box was big enough I was glad I hadn't ordered the large one, and opted instead for a nice soft-serve ice cream. So refreshing, and I think a better mix than the ones you can get in the U.S. It seemed creamy and lighter, if that makes sense, or maybe it just hit the spot. Afterwards, we wandered around shopping. I found and bought an interesting thimble, then we decided to see what the Luxembourg Casino was like. We found it easy enough, but apparently it was no longer a casino, but an art exhibit of some sort.

By this time we were getting a bit tired, so we decided to head down towards the hostel to rest, taking the long way around on the
The spooky corridor below the fortThe spooky corridor below the fortThe spooky corridor below the fort

The spooky corridor below the fort
lower levels of the city known as Luxembourg Base, or something like that. Quite picturesque, but it took us a while to find the hostel using that route. After a rest in the hostel, we headed out to find something for dinner. After checking out several places on our way to the place the hostel had recommended, Maybe Not Bob's (really!), and seeing how steep the prices were, we decided the hostel's dinner for 9.90 Euros wasn't so bad. Every place we saw was something like 12 Euros for a salad, or 15 to 28 Euros for dinner! I ordered the BBQ dinner for 9.90 and Manoli decided on just a large order of French fries for 4.50. Although the food should have been good, being BBQ port, shish-kabobs, and a help yourself salad, nothing was very good except the fries, and they needed salt. All the meat was way over cooked, in my opinion.

After dinner, we watched some Netflix, I wrote this blog, and we headed to bed. Tomorrow we leave for Brussels in Belgium for a 3-night stay. Let's see what Belgium is like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Thungen 1Thungen 1
Thungen 1

Some of the cool displays in the fort.
Thungen 2Thungen 2
Thungen 2

Some of the cool displays in the fort.
5 cross lights in a row!5 cross lights in a row!
5 cross lights in a row!

5 cross lights in a row!
La Fournee DoreeLa Fournee Doree
La Fournee Doree

La Fournee Doree where we ate lunch
A neat fountainA neat fountain
A neat fountain

A neat fountain
Some of the royal buildingsSome of the royal buildings
Some of the royal buildings

Some of the royal buildings
Gëlle Fra (Golden Lady) monumentGëlle Fra (Golden Lady) monument
Gëlle Fra (Golden Lady) monument

Gëlle Fra (Golden Lady) monument
Just part of the neat walkway to Luxembourg BaseJust part of the neat walkway to Luxembourg Base
Just part of the neat walkway to Luxembourg Base

Just part of the neat walkway to Luxembourg Base
More of the walkwayMore of the walkway
More of the walkway

More of the walkway
Idylic view in Luxembourgh BaseIdylic view in Luxembourgh Base
Idylic view in Luxembourgh Base

Idylic view in Luxembourgh Base


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb