Power Tour of France


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
June 13th 2014
Published: June 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Power tour of France...

After a wash-up and change of clothes, we loaded up Tom and Nadine's station wagon and all headed South out of Luxembourg and into France.

The drive was mostly on uninterrupted motorways with speeds anywhere up to and above 160 kph... and after checking out the imposing Medieval Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle on the way, where we spent a good couple of hours as the temperatures rose to the high 30's. Luckily it was nice and cool while in the castle and with the air-conditioning working hard for the drive to our first night's destination at Mulhouse where we had our fabulous Peonia B and B that Nadine had found.

We stayed in for a magnificent dinner, prepared in house, by fabulous hosts, along with a selection of great wines, as you do when in France.

We all staggered off to bed just before midnight after such a long and hot day, no one took any rocking off to sleep that night.

We had a leisurely breakfast and made our way to Beaune in the Burgundy Province, where we had a free afternoon to enjoy the old city and the architecture along with the 1443 Hotel-Dieu, founded as a hospital for the poor and is one of the finest examples of French fifteenth-century architecture.

Again after another sumptuous meal (the French along with Tom and Nadine sure know how to dine out). We dodged the last of the huge rain drops as we made our way back to the hotel where we all slept really well with the air con set to 21 deg.

After a quick breakfast, we hit the road again as we headed across the country towards Paris

and the magnificent Chateau Chambord in the Loire Valley, where we stayed in the old Hotel Le Grand St Michel on the grounds. This was such an amazing Chateau that was commissioned by Francis 1 in 1519 - now that was a bloody long time ago....

Moving on the next day, we headed closer to Paris and the Citroen Heritage Museum, the largest Citroen collection in the world with over 400 cars on display!! This was the highlight for me on that day!! We stayed in a remote village in the Champagne Province at a great B and B called Moulin de l'Etang a' Chatillon sur Marn, get a mouth full of that!! It was one of the most picturesque places that we had stayed, well worth the visit and loverly people too!!

After another great french breakfast we hit the road again for a few kilometres before digressing into a local winery for some champagne tasting and it was barely after 10.00am, go the French!! So after tasting some of their best brews we headed to the cellars, man do they have some stocks or what!!

So after that it was just a good run home to Luxembourg with a good stock of ballast in the boot!!

What an amazing 5 day whirl wind tour of Eastern France, leaving much more yet to explore......

Our heart felt thanks to Tom and Nadine for making this all possible.

Tomorrow we are off to Munster in Northern Germany to catch up with Bridget and Toni in Tom's little blue Mazda......

Cheers, Rosco


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



14th June 2014

Love the selfie
Hi Guys, you are obviously having a great time. Love the pix, especially the one of the two of you together. Keep safe 7 happy. Love from us down here in Dunners.
15th June 2014
The defensive view

Quick trips
Lovely views.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb