Luxembourg


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With bags packed, rooms empty, and very few people left in Haus Erasmus, it was a very strange feeling on July 1st. Knowing it was all over and we were just hours away from leaving our most loved city left an empty feeling. Last goodbyes and a last kebab were in order as James and I made our way to Westbahnhof to begin a whole new adventure. This was the start of my Eurotrip but the last of my time in Europe. We were about to embark on a monster train journey to of all places …Luxembourg!

The first of our trains took us to Salzburg where we enjoyed our last Ottakringer. Pity it was warm. We then took our next train to Munich where we connected to a train heading to Koblenz. This was our longest leg where we hoped to get some sleep. I think we both got 2-3 hours sleep before we had an hour stopover in Koblenz. Koblenz may be a nice city but there isn’t a lot to do at 5am. After a few more trains we finally arrived in Luxembourg City.

I had a rough map of how to get to our hostel which turns out it was too rough and was only getting us lost. Luck James had his trusty lonely planet which gave us some genuine direction. We found our hostel which was a big establishment and not a European hostel in the traditional sense. There were kids running around which gave the impression of a family atmosphere. We dropped off our bags and went to tour this city set in a valley.

Our first stop was Casamates which was a group of tunnels set in a mountain. We had a great time getting lost and feeling cold. Our next stop was the old city where we bought some market frit, grabbed a pizza, and just people watched. Feeling still exhausted from our train ride, we went back to the hostel for some rest. We rested a bit too long and it was starting to get dark. The hostel had a restaurant where we had dinner. The weather was terrible with pouring rain and it became quite dark so we had a quick walk along the river before returning to the hostel with a large group of over 50’s Danish people singing. We went back to our room to find a fat, old German man in his underwear preparing his bed above James. Good sleeping James. We went to bed knowing that we were only one day away from ROCK WERCHTER!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb