Onward to Hilly Sigulda


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Vidzeme Region » Sigulda
July 1st 2015
Published: July 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today Pam and I biked 31 miles for a total of 424 miles.

Started partly cloudy, but eventually partly sunny. Very good biking weather. Had a tailwind for a short time.

Had a nice breakfast at Igate Pils. Left at 9:11 am.

Road did not have much of a shoulder, but most drivers were respectful of us. Made good time.

Stopped at Brinini castle. One of many castles in this area. Built in the beginning of the 11th century, but the current building is from the 18th century. Beautiful grounds and buildings. A Big manmade lake in front of it. Storks have taken up residence in one of the towers. They called to us by smacking their bills together rapidly.

Later made it to the Turaidas Pils complex. There is much to see here. Lots of old buildings and bus loads of tourist, probably from Riga. Riga is the capitol of Latvia and along the sea. Cruise ships port in Riga and passengers go on day trips By the bus load. We toured the castle and other buildings.

Almost all of trip to this point has been flat, until today. When we left the Turaidas complex, we gleefully went down a 11% grade into the Guaja river valley. When then climbed a 11% grade uphill to reach Sigulda. This was handled well by all, but slowly.

Will spend the night at the Livonia Hotel in Sigulda. This place is more like a home in a residential part of Sigulda.

Tomorrow we will travel to Riga via train, as the roads to Riga are very busy with car traffic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb