The Legend of Zelta: The adventure begins


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
June 6th 2009
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well after an week of amazing send offs from family and friends, we are finally here..... and so are the hangovers (despite our best intentions). We arrived in Riga to the rain but it would take a lot more than that to dampen our spirits.

Carrying two of the biggest backpacks in the world, we avoided the temptation of getting a taxi from the airport and decided to 'rough' it, opting for public transport and a lot of walking. Alighting the bus armed with detailed directions to our hostel, consisting of one line ' we are 5 mins away from central market' (in what direction we were unsure), we found the bustling market just in time for the heavens to open. At this moment, it seemed more like that we'd ended up in a Delhi market place during a monsoon as opposed to Riga. After walking in every direction possible we finally found our hostel. It's a cosy little place, basic but homely and right in the centre of the Old Town.

Day one began with the best of intentions to avoid excess alcohol consumption especially as we had been awake from 3.30am to catch our flight. Our best intentions however lasted maybe all of five minutes! We found a gorgeous square with a host of alfresco eateries. Spotting a sign that said 'happy hour, Zelta beers one lat' (thats a quid), Chris enquired to the guy outside clutching menus and randomly dressed as a matador as to when happy hour began. 'Now' replied the menu bearing matador and so it began.....

Several Zeltas later we decided a little pick me up was needed to overcome our slightly tired state and headed to find a coffee shop. We happened accross a funky little outdoor spot near our hostel serving up their coffee in english 19th Century style china and with tea dressers scatterd about. We headed in to this gentlemanly little spot for a coffee and were greeted by two of the most bizzare, and certainly far from sober, waitresses who had a weird jazz cover of Micheal Jacksons 'Bad' belting out on repeat. Upon finishing our coffees and now able to sing all the words from 'Bad' we were presented with the bill. Now most bills are served with a little complimentary mint but this random establishment was clearly all out of mints and so the two waitresses, giggling non stop, presented the bill along with a sachet of brown sugar and a cinnamon stick!!! We kept the cinnamon stick!

Refreshed and energised from our caffine fix we were back on the Zeltas checking out a few more imbibing establishments. Good times were had.

Day two has been a little more reserved and most of the day has, so far, been spent chilling, reading and generally getting accustomed to a slower pace of life.

We hope that all is well back home and we will keep you posted as the adventure continues.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



6th June 2009

Hi travel-people :):):)
Hi Sarah and Chris :) it's nice to see you so happy :) I wish you both very exiting time :) xoxoxo.... ps. I am waiting for new pictures :)
6th June 2009

Sounds like ur having a ball! I'm loving the blog and photo's are class. Take care and please drink more zealta's. Lots of love and kisses.
13th June 2009

wow!
Can't believe you two have seen and done so much already. Love the stories and photos. Eve has gained a wealth of geography in this last week. You both look so well and happy. Hope you survive the amazing train journey ' your proud madre
16th June 2009

I think we read the posts in the wrong order.
1) We're loving the backpacks. Reminds me (Erin) a little of the President's Award. Except you two look a lot more glamorous. Haha. 2) Dad looks as if he's longing for one of those Zeltas (especially at the price - haha.) 3) You're able to sing Michael Jackson's 'Bad' in Rigish(? - I don't think that's even a language)? Something we must hear/be taught once you get back! Lots of love (again), the O'Rawe clan. xxx

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb