Uz laukiem (In the countryside)


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
September 8th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So Lelde and I have just got back from spending two weeks at her grandparents' farm, deep in the Latvian countryside. 32 per cent of Latvians live in rural areas#.
I think that Latvians have strong and thriving traditions related to the land. Whilst there, we went mushroom picking, which Lelde's mum describes as nearly being a national sport in Latvia- you can often see people coming from the forest with a basket full of senes(mushrooms) after an early morning hunt. It makes me think how in Britain most people wouldn't know what they were looking at when it comes to fungus- perhaps we're more removed from the source of our food- harvesting it in the supermarkets.
So we got back to nature and experienced farm labour and farm life- mostly- and I like this, the day revolves around food. We were stufffed full of hearty Latvian food at all opportunities! We even managed to put a litlle back by creating a strawberry patch which will hopefully be fruitful next year!
Here are the pictures of an extremely fun and organic couple of weeks


#http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/latvia_statistics.html


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Me and an uprooted treeMe and an uprooted tree
Me and an uprooted tree

In the forest on our first mushroom hunt
MMHMMH
MMH

Latvian beer has real flavour, and is pretty cheap too!
Old Ligo crownOld Ligo crown
Old Ligo crown

Lelde's grandparent's house
On the stoopOn the stoop
On the stoop

Lelde's family
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

So warm and churning out mouthwatering food all day. We eat so much each time we go to the countryside-it's great!
PoinchikiePoinchikie
Poinchikie

Deep-fried cottage cheese doughnuts
Storks on water towerStorks on water tower
Storks on water tower

This is part of the old cohos- collective farm from Soviet times that is near Lelde's grandparent's farm. The storks were few and far between, as they are heading to warmer climates at this time of year.
savoury cakesavoury cake
savoury cake

made of pancakes


11th September 2008

I mean - this is an amazing storie.. I am here in NYC and feel like I just have visited my own grandparents! Thanks guys!
11th September 2008

Fried Cottage Cheese Donuts
My mouth was watering over the picture of the Cottage Cheese Donuts. Tell us all the recipe of ingredients and then how they are made. Yummy, I want to try some. I think I would like these more than pickle soup. Lelde, is that light blonde hair I see in the pictures?
12th September 2008

Hi Lelde, Steven, you have been back to Latvia. Have seen your pics so nice and you look so happy! Lelde may color her hair~~ (beautiful) it seems a little cold there, take care & wish you will come to visit here again~

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb