Novo Brdo


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo
September 29th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today, the fifth through eighth grades went on a field trip to Novo Brdo. Only about an hour outside of Prishtina is a landscape of rolling hills topped by an ancient fortress, the ruins of which were once built and occupied by the Ottomans. Once a teaming metropolis - an old saying says that a cat could walk for 13 kilometers without its feet ever touching the ground - Novo Brdo is now quiet and unoccupied. Our guide, Fitim, explained the history and showed us around the fortress and the ruins of the cathedral. All of the students loved the scenery and couldn't believe that this place was so close to Prishtina and none of them had been there. The rock of the fortress was interesting as some of it - called simply red stone for its color - had been quarried from volcanic rock, as the fortress is set on top of an extinct volcano cone. All in all, it was a gorgeous day to be out of school and exploring the local history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th September 2011

Looks like it was a picture perfect day to be out and about! As always - beautiful pictures Erin!! Keep up the awesome work!! :)

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb