Memorial Day...


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » East
May 31st 2010
Published: June 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

And it played…The most somber of bugle calls. TAPS...The end to our day. The end to this day, Memorial Day. A day set aside to remember those who have fought and died for the freedom our country so enjoys. Only 24 notes total. It was played by both the Union and Confederate Armies to signify the end of the day, in a time when our country was so young, so determined and so resilient.

Sometimes I wish that everyone would just stop and honor America's fallen heroes on Memorial Day, not as a gesture endorsing any national views and its current political or economic policy, but in honor of brave men and women who gave their lives for others. It’s personal...

Memorial Day is not about picnics and ballgames. There have been so many brave Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines that have died protecting our country and what we stand for. They died defending a way of life that they felt was worth dying for ... families, children, freedom, morality, values, and a hefty responsibility to others.

Maybe we should each take a moment and look into our souls to see what we are doing with the bloodstained legacy they have left behind. I don’t ever want Americans to get so busy they forget about the valiant Marines at Iwo Jima, or the Revolutionary War heroes who went into battle to fight for our very first taste of freedom, or the Service Members in the countries so far away during the wars in our most recent of times.

On this most solemn holiday, we must stop and consider the great sacrifices that others have made so that we may have the freedom and prosperity we enjoy. Let us consider what those valiant warriors were fighting for...and let us honor each and every one of them...with a prayer, and a pledge to continue feeling our honor, living up to our values and the love for one another for which they gave their lives.

The music has stopped, but deep inside I can hear the echo. The bugles continue to sound even after they’ve ceased to be heard. My heart hears each and every note and I continue to listen even after they are gone.

I will never forget…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb