Lourdes


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » East
June 11th 2010
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes Soldiers are afforded the most incredible opportunities, or maybe there are those once in a lifetime moments that are impossible to revisit ever again. This trip for a very few would fall into that catagory. With moments of faith and memories that will forever run deep, I am unable to capture the essence of this journey. I would like to share with you an article written by one of our Public Affairs Specialists who attended this special pilgramage. I hope you enjoy his words and visual expression.



Story by Spc. Chris Erickson, 116th Public Affairs Detachment
KFOR Soldiers make military pilgrimage to Lourdes


LOURDES, France - Kosovo Forces Soldiers recently put down their weapons and picked up their crosses.
The Soldiers were among thousands of troops who traveled to Lourdes, France for the 52nd Annual International Military Pilgrimage.

The pilgrimage celebrates the visions of St. Bernadette Soubirous, who as a young girl saw apparitions of the Virgin Mary a total of 18 times, beginning in 1858. Since then, millions of pilgrims have made the trek to the holy site, with the KFOR peacekeepers being the latest.

Staff Sgt. Laton Lohmann, Dickinson, N.D., a chaplain assistant with Multinational Battle Group East, said he “jumped at the opportunity” to take the trip. “I was very excited,” he said. “It’s very difficult - as everyone knows - to get away from Camp Bondsteel when we’re trying to maintain certain troop strength. Myself and the other chaplain assistants were skeptical about whether we’d be able to come or not. General Dohrmann and the chief of staff were very supportive of the idea.

“As for my personal excitement, Lourdes was always someplace I wanted to come,” Lohmann continued. “I’ve heard the stories of Lourdes since Catholic elementary school growing up so I was semi-familiar with the story of Lourdes and St. Bernadette.”

For many KFOR Soldiers, the trip was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The pilgrimage began for the MNGB E contingent with a prayer by Chap. (Capt.) Timothy Meier, and then the pilgrims loaded up on a bus and were driven to the Pristina Airport. There they met their fellow military pilgrims from Germany, Austria, Ukraine, Poland, Italy, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia and the Czech Republic.

“The French contingent didn’t send anyone,” Lohmann said. “They said they didn’t feel right taking seats to go back to their home country - to go to a place they can see any time. They were very gracious in allowing their seats to go to other countries that might not have another chance to come here.”

Fellowship among the nations began immediately. Friends - both old and new - chatted eagerly about the beginning of their trip before boarding a Belgian military flight directly to their destination.
Master Sgt. Dean Richter, a Bismarck, N.D., Soldier with MNBG E’s Joint Visitors Bureau, said he wasn’t sure what to expect when he first heard about the pilgrimage. “My first thought was a church and activity center, nothing big, and maybe a few masses,” he said. “The amount of people I anticipated was minimal and thought it would be only military. Was I wrong, it was completely overwhelming and a total awe for me. There were military personnel from many different countries, too many to mention, uniforms that I have never seen before.”

Although many of those in uniform at the pilgrimage may not have known each other or what to expect at the event, camaraderie was high for the duration of the weekend. “That aspect has been maintained - the fellowship among the countries,” Lohmann said. “When we arrived and were at the opening ceremony, the remarks by the local bishop were very moving. People seemed to get excited then. “I would say the camaraderie flows from the fact that we are working together militarily,” he continued. “That’s where the bond really comes from I think, that we are working together in places like Kosovo to help keep the region stable.”

From Brothers-in-Arms to Brothers-in-Christ

Upon their arrival at Lourdes, the military pilgrims had just enough time to settle into their tent-city accommodations before forming up and marching to the first event: a gathering where members of the military were celebrated as peacekeepers.

Spc. Chris Mason, an aircraft fuel handler with MNBG E Aviation from Frankfort, Ky., said it was a memory that would stick with him for a lifetime. “This was a very emotional experience from the moment we began marching down the hill towards the Rosary Basilica,” he said. “I remember mostly the pleasing smell of incense burning and hearing a lovely voice singing praises to God while we marched down toward the chapel. “Spectators shouted cheers as we marched,” he continued. “Smelling that scent and hearing that voice sing caused me to focus on the essence of Jesus. Also, the people cheering influenced me to consider why the U.S. military is appreciated so much. I believe it was because of all of the support the U.S. has given to different countries. “When we finally arrived inside the Basilica there were what seemed to be thousands of people that were enthused about events that were about to unfold,” Mason said. “I will never forget the many different military groups marching out one after the other while playing instruments, carrying their flags and being introduced by a speaker. This is an event that I’ll always cherish and I hope to return to someday. “It seemed to be heavenly and gave me some of the most peaceful feelings I’ve ever had,” Mason added. “This will not be forgotten.”

Military Family

Sgt. Andy Rohrich, a member of MNBG E’s Regional Liaison Monitoring Team from Bismarck, N.D., said he didn’t know what to expect from the pilgrimage, but did plenty of research before going. When he arrived, he learned he would get to share a tent with his German KFOR counterparts. “I was able to get to know them fairly well in the short time we had,” Rohrich said. “My experience at Lourdes was one I will never forget. Everyone was very friendly and we were constantly being asked to take photos with us.”
Rohrich added that he felt fortunate for being able to take the trip. “I was lucky to have the opportunity to go to Lourdes and I would like to thank the other KFOR soldiers, both U.S. and our multinational partners for making the experience I had in Lourdes an unforgettable one,” he said.

The journey didn’t only allow for fraternity and sorority throughout the military ranks. It also provided a venue for a small family reunion. Thomas Patrick Gallagher is currently going through seminary at Mount St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Md. At the end of his first year, he was invited by his aunt, Maj. Jocelyn Baker, Bismarck, N.D., to join her at Lourdes during the pilgrimage. Baker currently serves as the commander for Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Task Force Falcon, MNBG E.

“My mom had brought up to me the possibility of me coming out and introducing aunt Jocelyn to the archbishop and I just kind of laughed it off,” Gallagher said. “Then I got a voicemail saying ‘I think you should come out to Lourdes with me, I’ll buy your plane ticket.’ It was starting to sound a little better but still felt like a long shot. “The next thing I knew we were figuring things out on the phone,” he continued. “I talked to the archbishop, who thought it was a good idea, and here I am.”
“I thought it would be a great experience for a young seminarian with plans to contract with the military,” said Baker. She added that it was also a great way to spend time with family.
Gallagher said that his experience was one-of-a-kind. “All the nations coming together to praise God,” he said, “has been very awesome. “When I was here before the crowds I was able to get away by myself and take everything in,” he said. “I didn’t try to come here, it just kind of happened with the plane ticket and another benefactor taking care of my hotel - it’s like the Lord was definitely calling me here. I’m going to be here two days after the pilgrimage and that will be time to reflect on why the Lord called me here. Right now I’m in awe about how far the Gospel has spread, and how many nations have come together. They’re all here for God in this place to give honor to Mary.” Baker agreed with her nephew, saying that it poignant to think about how so many nations came to Lourdes to worship as pilgrims.
“I think the countries are more apt toward fellowship here,” Baker added.” They’re more apt to trade patches and take pictures with each other. I thought it was awesome when we were marching down the first time.” Gallagher said he was impressed by the respect all the gathered nations showed each other.
“During the procession, one thing I really liked was how all the nations are saluting everyone else’s colors,” he said.

Enriching Experience

Maj. Brent Naslund, a MNBG E staff officer from Bismarck, N.D., said the experience was remarkable on several levels. “Spiritually, being at the site where the Virgin Mary appeared to St. Bernadette in the 1800s and having been the site of many documented miraculous healings, was very moving,” Naslund said. “Militarily, it was nice to be able to interact with soldiers from other nations on personal basis, where normally we only get to do business with other NATO partners. Nationally, we tend to assume everyone dislikes America and Americans. I was pleasantly surprised that this was not true. We had great interaction with the public.”

Naslund said the experience that would stick out the most for him was when the KFOR contingent joined the rest of the Soldiers and civilians present for a Saturday night candlelight procession through the city.
“It was a moving experience walking through the streets of Lourdes, able to be in uniform and represent America in this way,” he said. “We were able to have a U.S. general from U.S. Army Europe and the U.S. Archbishop for the military lead our procession and we were joined by the American Soldiers and families stationed in Europe. “The night was beautiful, the crowds lining the streets were friendly and the basilica area was beautiful, as was the program,” he added. “Overall, it was an awesome event.”

Reflection

Naslund agreed that the weekend was unlike any other. “It was spiritually enriching,” he said. “It was great to interact with soldiers from other nations and represent the U.S. We had a great crew with us and I’d definitely recommend that this remain a tradition for KFOR units.” “As a practicing Catholic, I hope that people take a better understanding of Catholicism and some of its practices, which can often be misunderstood,” Lohmann added. “Above even that, I hope that people - myself included - take from here a conviction to grow closer to their faith, and to not only know it better, but to live it.”

Richter said he felt similar, and that he would recommend the pilgrimage to others searching for a deep spiritual feeling. “The overall experience was unbelievable; you needed to be there to have it,” Richter said. “When you first walk into the religious area, you just feel a sense of spirituality that remains hard to explain.” Richter said, while there were many special moments, one stayed with him the most.

“The one that sticks with me the most is praying at the grotto and then lighting candles of prayer for my wife, Reyne, and our family,” he said. “It is something I will never forget.” “I will be eternally grateful for my aunt bringing me out on this trip,” Gallagher said. “It will stay with me for the rest of my life.”
His aunt felt the same. “This is probably one of the best things to come out of my deployment and will stick with me for a long time,” Baker said.

Lohmann said it was a unique occasion for everyone who took the trip.
“Coming from the state of North Dakota, you don’t have experiences like this where so many people of a common faith come together to worship, let alone coming to such a beautiful place,” he said. “It’s my hope that it was spiritually moving for everyone.”



Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb