Bring On Italy!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 11th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today is Venice. Well actually today was driving to Venice. So much time is spent on the bus and we dont arrive untill 430 - 5 in the evening. As soon as we arrive at the destination everyone just drops their gear and heads to the local bar and the party begins. This is contiki.


The first night we arrived everyone went mental (had a crazy wild time in true contiki fashion) There were a couple of contikis at the bar and after a few drinks (Attitude adjusters is what they are called, so just by the name you can begin to imagine the rowdeyness of the place) things started to really pick up and into the night it went.

The next morning after a few hours sleep we caught the boat across to Venice itself. What an amazing place. The city that floats on water. Day involved going to a lace shop to see how they make lace, going to a Venice glass blow molding place and then just mozaming around the city. The things that jump out at first (other than the amazing sites of the city) are the swarms of Pigeons that flock in the
jimbob and his pink umbrellajimbob and his pink umbrellajimbob and his pink umbrella

Showing the kids how to AVB on the spanish steps in Rome.
city (and i mean SWARMS!) along with the dodgy African dudes who try sell you black market stuff. They sit all around the city with their items laid out on these big white sheets, they sell watches and Gucci handbags and belts along with numerous other items. Then when they see the police coming they just grab all four corners of the sheet and make a run for it. Its a shame cause this appears throughout europe and it brings a sense of cheepness to the cities. Some of the boys from contiki enjoyed walking past and screaming Poliza and watch as they go into panic mode and begin to pack up their items.

At 5 we all jumped on gondalas (not ones that go up into the sky!) And got punted around the canals which was definatly a new experience. Pretty romantic, the sort of thing you would probably do with your partner, rather than in a big contiki group. The water is foul also, I put my hands in to wash them, then realised that a turd (a human crap) was floating right past me. I was then advised that the entire cities waste is just pumped into the waters that surround the city!! MMMM nice! but other than that its an amazing place to visit. A must for all.

The weather is scorchin, Venice is so beautiful, definatly not the place you would come to party but all the same it is well worth the visit. I got some artwork here, charcoal drawings which are really nice.

That night it was the usual....drinking at the bar. Another contiki crew came in and then someone decided it would be approprate to pull the haka. So after finding a couple more NZers from the other bus (as lance and I are the only Kiwis on our tour along with one other) we got up on stage and showed them what it was all about. Luckily we had some half cast to lead us. Tops off, we went for it. The surrounding Aussies tried to come back with Walzting Matilda but we just started the chant 32-12, 32-12 as that is what the ABs just thrashed them by that morning. They soon took their seat. The night went on and slowly people started to make their way to their bed. About 4am one of the boys Shannon that we are travelling with decided to sing the Contiki Song that he made up, so there we have it, him shouting at the top of his lungs in the middle of a campground his contiki song. 4am in the morning. Things like this are not unusal on contiki.


ROME:

Another couple of hours sleep then up it is again, breakfast if your lucky, shower if its needed and onto the bus, you gota be quick cause the bus will not wait for knowone. My time management is getting better! Im starting to work out the pattern. Its huge night, then onto bus after a couple of hours sleep. If your lucky you will get 4 hours sleep, i think we have been averageing 2-3 hours sleep a night. By 9am everyone is pretty much asleep on the bus. 1130 people start to wake, we get to our first stop (normally an Auto Grill). You get a 45 min break where you can get a feed and freshen up. Then its onto the bus again. Chitter chatter on the bus, then again everyone falls asleep. I dont think you ever actually sleep, you just close your eyes and try to sleep. 2 30ish its another stop for 20 mins then again back on the bus untill you reach the destination. There is so much time spent on the bus but if your not sleeping there is always someone to talk to. You have to be carefull thoe. The boys sit up the back, and there is always laughter and practical jokes being played. If someone falls asleep with their mouth open, they will usually awake to someone pouring tequila in their mouth. One dude got busted drawling whilst sleeping. Sleeping at night has also become dangerous. Mike (one of the boys on the trip) was pretty much in a coma after a big night, then his cousin Shanon sprayd water around him and made it look like he wet his bed. Photos were taken and rumours soon spread. Its safer to just stay up as long as possible, otherwise you dont know whats going to happen to you.

Yeah, so Rome. Crazy.

Our pad at Rome had a swimming pool!! So after a quick unloading of the bus (and discovering that our rooms were these miniscule huts that could bearly fit our travel packs in)
James And Rona @5amJames And Rona @5amJames And Rona @5am

That is lances hand in the background
It was off to the pool. However there was a walkabout of rome planned for that night, most of the boys stayed back and went swimming and the other half of us went to see the sites. It was crazy walking around Rome, the city was an absoulute buzz. People going crazy everywhere. We had a quick feed in town and then missioned back to watch the soccer final out where we were staying.

The place went insane when the final whistle went, and then it was down to the club which was onsite at the hostel. There was another couple of buses there also. I meet this awesome girl from South Africa Rona, we hung out together and got chatting. Later on I found lance again who was well and truly enjoying himeslf. He is definatly the one who takes it to new levels out of the two of us. He is at home with his drinking buddy Shannon and the pair combined are always getting up to mistuif and leading the charge! Great times.
The bar finally closed up around 5 so we then moved the party into our tiny hut. We pulled out the tunes and
From the Outside InFrom the Outside InFrom the Outside In

That is lances hand wrapped around me....again!
then lance and Mike proceded to dance the night away to some dance music under the stars, soon our hut was packed with people (as packed as it could get) and the fun times just continued on. Again little sleep this night. Tommorow it is of to the Vatican and Coliseum and to see the Ruins of Ancient Rome.

We had a guided tour around the Ruins and Coliseum. We stood at the place where Cesar was cremated and also stood at the central point of Rome, right where the Oblisk once stood and where the saying "all roads lead to Rome" came from. The history in this city is incredible and you can really loose yourself amongst it. The Vatican was also amazing, so much history and art. Wether you go for Religious reason, or simply for the art history, i really recommend the Vatican. We only got through the Tombs and St Peters Basilica. You really need a whole day just for the Vatican. The lines stretch for hundreds of meters but once your in its all worth it.



Florance:

Next day was Florance. The usual, up early, however this trip was only
Lose yourself in the music, the momentLose yourself in the music, the momentLose yourself in the music, the moment

Mikey and Lance cranking it at 5am outside our hut in Rome.
about 3 hours on the bus!! YaaY! We arrived and had a group photo taken up on the hill where the replica of Michalangelos David statue is. It is 42 degrees today so its VERy warm! The sun over this part of the world is so different to the sun back home. Its so nice to be able to go out and about without getting burnt like you do back in NZ. We just looked around the city, lance and I got our new sunglasses and then that night was the tuscan dinner. The meals that Contiki take you on are a bit of a let down, i mean, mum makes better pasta back home compared to what was on offer at the Tuscan meal, but i didnt hold my hopes to high before we went so all in all it was not to much of a let down. Another guided tour through the city, the highlights had to be the visit to the Duomo and to see the "gates of paradise" another of Michelangelos masterpieces.

Italy has been amazing. Weve had so much fun here. Definatly get the big tick. All three cities were so different from each other. The language barrier proved a problem at times but other than that we take away some fantastic memories.

The tour is nearing its end, we've never partied this hard in our lives. Contiki is definatly the way to go if you want to see some sights but be prepared to live it up also. Its pretty full on. We have not stopped since the day we left Christchurch and our bodies are starting to feel it. All god times thoe and we would not change anything.

Switzerland and Paris is whats left and then we hit London.

Until next time

James and Lance
xoxo






Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Baby AngelsBaby Angels
Baby Angels

Holy Water Inside St Peters.
Vatican CityVatican City
Vatican City

Looking Down On The Vatican From The Top Of The Basilica
Vatican CityVatican City
Vatican City

James At Top Of St Peters.
DavidDavid
David

Replica Statue Of David On The Hill In Florance
Duomo of FlorenceDuomo of Florence
Duomo of Florence

The Mighty Cathedral
Lanceski The RaverLanceski The Raver
Lanceski The Raver

Roaming around in Florence


3rd August 2006

Finding the oasis
Hey boys awesome photos this Rome was a good stone found an altar but still sought an Oasis TO THE FRIDGE!!!!!!
3rd August 2006

Wogster
Hey dude, we did have a mad stone have missed you this last week when are you coming back to seek another raise?? Saturday yeah let us know a time and we will come meet you somewhere!! Raise it my brother! Peace out Lanceski! X
6th August 2006

Raised at Heathrow
Hey boys back in Perth now I was raised at heathrow i was so stoned went to buy a mag for the plane F.H.M ended up getting this magazine called F.I.L.M it was shit but the flight was cool. Keep raising it up ST James you owe me for all the movin and Lance i will be expecting my billabong shirt in the mail Just Kiddin!!!!
20th September 2006

Hey Mikey Bro ya Wogstga. Man chur for the help moving into the new pad bro, duno where i would be without your muscles. Funny shizzle about the mag. Obviously a sign you got to raised in London. Keep it real bro and come back soon
20th September 2006

Haha Rome was prob one of my Favourite times. Fond memories. Yes to the fridge!!
20th September 2006

Hey Rona!
Hey Rona hows you! Oh did i muck that photo title up??! Ill sort it out and get my facts straight then just for you! Keep in touch hun.
2nd October 2006

Hey james
Hey hey hey just checking out the pics (Again)... what a blast ay? who's up for a reunion in a few years time? Or how bout doing a trip to SA and coming to visit me?
3rd October 2006

Oh Romea
Hey ma favourite. How you doing. Yes a reunion would be great fun! Lance mentioned last night that if we dont go to New York for XMAS, we should come get some sun in S.A

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb