Europe Q&A Travel Consultation


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 20th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

February 2, 2011

Q & A with a Travel Consultant

This afternoon I drove up to Edmonds, Washington for a travel consultation at the Rick Steves travel center. For $50, I got to sit down for a half hour with part-time consultant, part-time tour guide Lisa. As advertised, 30 minutes was plenty of time to go over questions and comments. An employee-in-training sat in with us, which ended up being a bonus because he had additional information to offer. It was a huge help, and something I would recommend to anyone considering a solo adventure or for first-time Europe travelers going without a tour.

Q: Would it be better for me to have a rail pass or buy point-to-point tickets?
A: We calculated it is approximately the same for a 6-day second class pass or doing it completely point-to-point. The difference is in convenience. A rail pass will let you hop on any train, provided you do not need a reservation. Without a pass, you need to schedule in extra time to purchase your ticket before departing. For my trip, most of the major rail trips require reservations, so a pass would only be convenient a couple times. In essence, there is not much of a difference for me.

Q: Recommendation for Stresa versus Varenna for a Milano day trip?
A: Lisa recommended Varenna and Bellagio for a day trip. She said the train connections are easier and there is a more relaxed atmosphere in these towns. Stresa is more touristy and is loaded with Victorian gardens and motif. Of course, upon hearing this, I knew Stresa was for me!

Q: How much time should I allow for train transfers?
A: Ten minutes is a fair amount of time at a big hub. Less than that will have you rushing, but 20 minutes and over will leave you enough time to get a snack.

Q: How exactly do I get my bus tickets?
A: Buy them from the clerk at the counter in the tobacci shops (convenience stores). With limited Italian, just say, “ticket, please,” and they will help you out.

Q: Travel insurance suggestions?
A: Lisa recommended health insurance only, unless there was a 1/20 chance that I would need to reschedule my trip. But considering most of my transactions will be cash payments upon arrival, she suggested that it would be unnecessary to get more than the health insurance. Get good health insurance, so that you can be upgraded to first class in case your leg is in a splint and you need more room.

Q: Hostels – do I get the same bed each night?
A: Yes, for the duration of your reservation. If you decide to stay an extra night, much like a hotel, your bed may have already been assigned to the next traveler with a reservation. You may need to move.

Q: Some hostels rent locks. Can I provide my own?
A: Yes, you can use your own lock. A light weight combo lock works just fine.

Q: What do I do with my important documents while sleeping?
A: The guy sitting in with us locks his documents in his bag, and then locks the bag in his locker. Lisa said the money belts are not uncomfortable to wear at night. Side note, no need to pack tickets in the money belt, they will just get beat up over the trip. They are just confirmation pieces of paper anyway and useless without ID.

Q: Any suggestions or comments for single female traveler?
A: (Answer abbreviated to what is not already on the main travel forums.)

Safety. Italy is a safer country for travelers than other locations in that there is less violent crime. Lisa said she felt perfectly safe walking around Venice at midnight, but would never do so in London. The biggest risks are pick-pockets and petty theft. Use common sense here. While other websites say for women to remain indoors after dark, Italy is a safe country to be out at night because everyone else stays out late too. The streets are crowded with people as much as in the day.

Cultural differences. Americans are very direct when addressing someone, either formally or informally. Eye contact means you are giving the person your attention; you are engaged, however brief, and in a way, showing respect. In Italy, at least between men and women, direct eye contact and a smile is more than just acknowledgement, it is an invitation. This is where the direct American mannerisms get women into trouble. Lisa suggested wearing dark sunglasses to avoid unintended eye contact.

Love in Italy. Lisa made a point several times that American women, of all ages, have a reputation of being loose. No sugar coat there. She offered some likely reasons for this, one being that Americans seems to forget to pack their inhibitions when going on any vacation. Whatever the reason, she wanted me to understand that this reputation precedes women travelers.

Making friends. When I am feeling lonely, in need of friendship, I was instructed to go find the Australians. Basing this from experience, the guy in our meeting complimented the Aussies by noting their easy socializing skills, accepting most everyone to join in for a beer or just a good time around town.

Other useful information: Look at hostelworld.com and hostelbookers.com for cheap rooms.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb