Touring Lake Como


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 4th 2008
Published: April 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

4 April 2008

In Glorious sunny and clear weather we have had a wonderful day exploring the area around Menaggio in Central Lake Como using the ferries to cross the lake. Lake Como is in the shape oh an inverted Y as shown on the attached map.

The morning started on the 9.25 boat which took us to Bellagio. Bellagio is situated on the promontory which is at the start of the two legs of the Y and is one of several beautiful towns in the area. It has many steep and sometimes stepped alleys and we followed one of these and then another path to a small port called Pescallo. After a coffee on a scenic terrace overlooking the lake we retraced our steps and made our way to Punta Spartivento at the very point of the promontory.

Our next ride took us to Villa Carlotta on the west coast The building is owned by the Italian State and includes magnificent gardens with among a multitude of species many rhododendrons which were in full bloom and great banks of azaleas which unfortunately were yet to show their flowers.

On the ferry again to Varenna on the west coast. After a welcome pannini lunch in a local bar we took the three quarter of an hour walk up a steep and rocky path to Vezio Castle above the town. From the top of the castle tower we were able to enjoy panoramic views along the lake. Then back down to Varenna, fortunately by an easier path before returning to Menaggio on one of the car ferries.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb