Island of Elba and Pompeii


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 18th 2018
Published: June 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we docked on the Island of Elba, the famous island where Napoleon was held prisoner for a time. It is a small island and was chosen as a port to provide a unique place where only small cruise ships can stop. We chose to simply walk through the small town, to the other side of the island and go to the beach.

The beach was a very local affair, with many families spending time together. We rented two lounge chairs and an umbrella, with great effort since the owner of the shop spoke absolutely no english. The beach was also interesting in that it was only round stones - no sand whatsoever. It was a very, pleasant, relaxing day.

Today we sailed further south again to Naples and took a tour of Mt. Vesuvius and the famous city of Pompeii. Pompeii was suddenly covered by the eruption of the Vesuvius volcano in 79AD, leaving the city covered until the 1700’s when excavation began. As a result, it is the most protected ancient site existing due to the lack of influence of air and moisture for so many years. It was covered by ash which has been slowly reclaimed such that today 2/3 is now uncovered. As it is, it is very large and very impressive. Intact murals, Roman baths, homes, restaurants and impressions of people and animals have been found as they were they day the eruption happened. It is something to be seen to be believed. One of the most impressive sites I have seen in my many travels.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb