Oh Romeo, Romeo!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, I took a little trip to Fair Verona, home of the star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet (spelled Giulietta in Italian and prounounced Hul-ee-eta). Apparently, there were two feuding families in Verona during the 1300's and supposedly they did have two kids in love but who knows! I think Shakespeare's story is loosely based on it and Verona makes a killing from dumb-witted tourists! Nonetheless, my first destination was the Casa di Giulietta (Juliet's House), apparently the Capulet's never even lived here though so I didn't bother wasting my Euro going inside. The archway leading to the courtyard is known as the lover's wall which is filled with graffitti of all the lover's who have passed through...I contributed 😊 ...Inside the courtyard is a statue of Juliet and the balcony from which she stood and was wooed by Romeo. How sweet! Well that took a whole 10 minutes so I decided to just walk around Verona which is a very cute town and has some good shops. I saw some more of those people who stand still all day long in the blistering heat for a few coins. One in particular was dressed like the popular Italian Pinocchio toy. His feet were planted in a box and he freaked this girl out when he shuffled over to her really fast...she screamed really loud, it was pretty damn funny. Anyways, I made it over to Piazza Erbe where there is a platform called the Berlina which is where medieval convicts used to be punished by having produce pelted at them, and ironically the piazza is full of nothing but fruit vendors. Verona has an Opera Festival every summer in it's outdoor arena which looks like a mini Colosseum. Hoping to make it to one of the Opera's before I leave. I continued around Verona, crossing over the Adige River to check out Giardini Giusti, a 16th century garden with fountains, rows of trimmed hedges, and a thigh-high maze known as Il Labirinto. It was very beautiful and peaceful..I felt like I was in the Secret Garden 😊 That was pretty much most of Verona! Sorry no chipped teeth or crazy storms to report! Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lover's GraffitiLover's Graffiti
Lover's Graffiti

Entry way to Juliet's house
The ArenaThe Arena
The Arena

Venue for the Verona Opera Festival
King Tut?King Tut?
King Tut?

Some more people with alot of free time and apparently not prone to heat stroke
The BerlinaThe Berlina
The Berlina

The platform where convicts were pelted with produce..the original chain is still in place
Adige RiverAdige River
Adige River

Freezing water!
Giardino GiustiGiardino Giusti
Giardino Giusti

Under the ivy covered walk way
TurtlesTurtles
Turtles

Some cute little turtles living in one of the fountains..they thought I had food and kept following me..awww!


17th July 2008

Neither, it was actually the little pinocchio man

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb