Back into Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 13th 2014
Published: May 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our last day of cruising today L We had a relaxing morning while Em had her last morning with the kids club then lunch on board while we sailed slowly through the entrance to the port of Venice and made our way through the city to the cruise terminal. We had one last swim in the pool then cleaned up and went ashore at about 4pm. The masses had begun to clear the city and the locals were beginning to come out. It was lovely to see the other side of Venice – people shopping for their dinner, a fresh produce market stall on a boat selling along the side of the canal and lots of kids all playing in the piazzas.

As Em had a nap on my back, we walked all the way back up to Piazza San Marco. We really wanted to get on the water to see the Grand Canal so we got tickets on the Vaporetti. This is the public bus system of Venice but obviously the busses are actually boats. It is the poor man’s way to see the canal and many other tourists use it that way but late in the day, it is much less crowded and is used by locals as well to commute. It was a really great way to see Venice from the water, the grand old buildings and the chaos of the boats on the Grand Canal. If you get the chance, I would definitely recommend seeing Venice in the late afternoon or evening as it is a much calmer and more beautiful place.

Once we got back on the boat for our last night aboard, Em had a pyjama party to go to at the kids club as a farewell. While she had a great time playing and watching movies, we had a last meal in the formal restaurant before packing up to move on tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb