Ghosts of Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
January 20th 2021
Published: January 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

23rd December 2020

Tokyo this morning Venice this evening. I am so enjoying these virtual trips.

The Ghosts of Venice Past - Campiello del Remer, Venice, Italy

Our guide tonight was Andrea, we wandered through the narrow streets of Venice with it’s 15 centuries of history.

As we wandered we listened to the tales about the sinister deeds and tragic ends of the figures who once walked the streets—some of whom are believed to still wander as restless spirits.

Here is just one of the tales.

In the late 16th century, a nobleman called Loredan fell in love and married the Doge’s niece. He was a horribly jealous man who accused his wife of adultery. He chased her from their home with a sword, and ended up beheading her. As punishment, the Doge ordered Loredan to carry his dead wife’s body to the pope in Rome to ask forgiveness. The pope refused to see him, so Loredan walked back to Venice and, distraught, threw himself into the lagoon. His ghost can still reportedly be seen at the Campiello del Remer at the Grand Canal, coming out of the water carrying his wife’s head.

We
passed what seemed to be two great churches next to one another but actually it was the main entrance of St. John and Paul Civil Hospital.

Another interesting fact was about the holes at the base of the many wells around the city. These were for the cats to drink the water, with so many rats in days gone by the cats of Venice needed to have access to fresh water.

Our guide then took us down the narrowest street in Venice just 56cm wide! So narrow so I think virtually is the only way I will pass through this street.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb