Padova on a public holiday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Padua
August 15th 2017
Published: August 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Padova - the main reason for the visit to Padova was St Anthony’s Basillica - very impressive despite thinking we couldn't see another beautiful church. Being the celebration of the Assumption of Mary didn't stop thousands of tourists quietly walking through (I couldn't help wondering how I'd feel about a constant stream of gawking tourists walking through WVAC on a Sunday morning). We saw the “relics” of St Anthony - tongue and jaw - eeek. Fortunately no photos allowed!!

Highlight - Coffee at world famous Cafe Pedrocchi - the cafe is now known for it's special coffee - espresso in the bottom of the cup and chocolate mint in the top which was kept quite separate being different viscosities - interesting - Mike had 2 and then went and bought me an Espresso but I did try!! Even the non coffee drinkers liked it. The rooms are decorated in red, green and white and was where students and free thinkers met to solve the problems of the world. To this day you can sit in the green area and relax without having to order anything. Unfortunately (or fortunately according to Mike) no shops or markets were open being a public holiday so it was hard to get the buzz or vibe of the town.

In the afternoon the ship’s butler demonstrated a "Sabrage" - how to open a bottle of prosecco with a sword. The ceremony dates back to Napoleon who is known to have said “Champagne! In victory one deserves it; in defeat one needs it”!! It was great fun and we spent the afternoon relaxing on the deck While sailing in the lagoon. There is not enough water in the River Po to take us so we won't be sailing as much as expected so this was fun.

Tomorrow Bologna. Ciao


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cruising in the lagoonCruising in the lagoon
Cruising in the lagoon

Burano fishing village that we will visit later in the week


21st August 2017

Bella!
Pros Ecco is the latest trend here.
21st August 2017
Cruising in the lagoon

What you said about Sabrage sounded very impressive. We just watched a video clip of it...and it looks impressive too.
22nd August 2017

Padova
I think we need Sabrage training! The conventional uncorking of Prosecco in our house just isn't going to cut it any more.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb