A visit to Murano - Home of Glassworks


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Murano
March 4th 2021
Published: March 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com A visit to Murano, Venice



The island is rich with culture and tradition and was once used as a refuge for Venetian glass-makers, who were forced by governmental officials to leave the city of Venice in the 1291 and establish their furnaces on Murano.

The island consists of 7 individual islands linked together by beautiful bridges, the whole island actually measures a mere 1 mile.

It’s artisan glassmaking history goes back centuries, and to this day Murano glass is revered the world over.



Today we were invited by the owner of Berengo Studio to take a tour and see contemporary glass works being created.



Berengo Studio was founded in 1989 by Adriano Berengo, who set out to forge a new path for art made with glass by testing the boundaries of contemporary glass-making with his innovative and inventive approach.

Inspired by the collaborative work of Peggy Guggenheim and Egidio Costantini in the 1960s who invited masters such as Picasso and Chagall to produce art in glass, Berengo decided to further this creative vision and bring new life to the world of contemporary art through the use of glass.


Adriano was such a charming and welcoming gentleman as he virtually showed us around his studio.



Check out his website to see & read more about his work.

https://www.berengo.com/about-us/



We had visited Murano a few years ago and was taken to one of the glass blowing demonstrations (a typical tourist event). I did make a purchase there but today’s visit to this contemporary studio was something special.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement








Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb