Farewell to Tuscany, hello Umbria


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
September 13th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was an early start, but it was worth it. We fitted in a few hours in Siena and still arrived in Perugia in time to have a look around before it got too dark (8:00 pm)
Siena is a lovely city, full of cathedrals & museums, but we could only spend a few hours wandering the old streets in the centre of town. We tried to contact Henry a couple of times, but the we couldn't get thru to him on the local phone system. We visited the Piazza del Campo and were amazed at its size & the number of people there.
We arrived in Perugia in the late afternoon, just in time to see a busload of players, dressed in colourful period costume preparing for some unknown event. We discoverded later, as they marched along the Corso Vannucci, playing their drums and waving their banners, up to the Duomo in Piazza IV Novembre that there was a centenery celebration for the University,. The area was alive with dignitaries, monks, priests, nuns, bishops, police chiefs, mayors, us, & anyone who was anyone actually.
We love Perugia, its a beautiful hilltop town, alive with young people from the uni, and an mood that is hard to describe. Its wonderful to just sit in a cafe along the corso and watch the world go by........


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

players on the Corso Vannucciplayers on the Corso Vannucci
players on the Corso Vannucci

Party time in Perugia
Franciscan monksFranciscan monks
Franciscan monks

in town for the party.


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb