Siena and Beyond


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
June 20th 2014
Published: June 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Next we stopped at Sovicille near Siena. Again Siena was a place we had passed through but never really visited. Quite a nice campsite and our coincidences continued as we found Debra and Frank from our site at Lake Caldenazzo, on the same campsite. We drove to Siena and spent 30 minutes trying to park, why in May should it be so hard to park? However we learnt that sensible people do not come to Siena in summer as it is too hot so we were in peak season. Free parking meant 20 minutes walk up to the old centre and of course who do we meet again but Debra and Frank!



Siena really is a pretty city and lives up to all the wonderful descriptions we had been given. In particular the main Campo Piazza where the famous Palio horse race takes place and the Cathedral which has some spectacular Capellas, a delightfully painted library and magnificent marble floor carvings. These sights are worth coming to Siena for alone but it is not all, and Siena is one of the most beautiful cities we have visited. It must be said though that it is also one of the most expensive!



Next was San Gimignano which, to save meeting by coincidence again, we took Debra and Frank with us! Of course the city is famous for its towers which ancient nobles had built as high as possible to out do each other. Michelle went up Torres Grossa, the highest, where she said the views were magnificent. However although the towers look good when you approach they do not have the same effect when you are in the city, possibly because they shield each other out. Although the cathedral does not compare with Siena it is certainly as pretty outside but a lot smaller. One way the city does compare with Siena though are the very high prices in the cafés!



As we had now seen enough hillside towns and any others would be an anti climax so our final visit in the area was to the abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Run by Benedictine monks since the 15th century and full of frescoes and paintings from the renaissance. As entrance was free we did not mind paying €3 to park. A nice afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

San Gimignano San Gimignano
San Gimignano

The indescribable colours.


Tot: 0.422s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb