Italy 8 - Volterra - A copa Mista de bosco and black sculptures


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Volterra
May 22nd 2009
Published: December 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of our last visits of our holiday were to a castle, a deserted town on a Sunday afternoon and to see modern sculptures in a town square.

Colle Di Val d’Elsa is a quiet little place a bit off the beaten track for visitors. As it was a late Sunday afternoon the town was exceptionally quiet. In the streets we saw weatherbeaten grandfathers smoking or playing cards, grey haired grandmothers knitting or crocheting and children and toddlers playing in the streets. A scene that must have been prevalent in England in the 19th century but lost now. If there was a downside to Colle it was that it was impossible to get food on a Sunday. All restaurants seemed closed and even if we found one that looked vaguely open there seemed no-one interested in serving us. After sitting in one for ten minutes we gave up waiting. At a guess I would say if you are going to Colle there isn’t much there but what there is is authentic and make sure you go in the week rather than on a Sunday. It is worth a trip to see the pretty castle, the walls and to taste a slice of Italian life.



Volterra – a medieval busy town on top of yet another volcanic plug of rock. The parking is great but the place itself is busy. Most people coming for the iconic view of Tuscany. Olive and cypress trees with rolling undulating countryside. Picture postcard perfect. An odd place with a beautiful square, flags and banners everywhere and strange black sculptures that seemed to serve no purpose. Well we didnt work out what they were for but they do make a talking point.



What are my best memories – sun, a Copa Misto de Bosco in Arrezo – a mixed cup of ice creams and fruit of the forest, blackberries, raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants and strawberries with cream. Another pretty town which was heaving on the day we visited . The taste and flavours of Italy will linger long.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb