Siena and Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
July 31st 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SienaSienaSiena

Domo
On our way to Siena we stopped off in a small town called Overto which was positioned high on top of a cliff top. There was a beautiful church there made out of green and white marble. We had a small snack and a walk around the cute little town. I was surprised to see a Lord of the Rings plate in one of the shops. Got back on the bus on our way to Siena, I love driving through Italy with all the beautiful sun flowers and undulating fields.


Looking around could both see why Siena may be called Siena, all the buildings are the colour of burnt Siena. There are lovely streets which are enchanting and still have Medieval markings all over the walls, we think some were there to hold up torches along the otherwise dark narrow streets.

Siena is captervating with only a few sights to see we have really enjoyed strolling around and not rushing off to see things. Siena's spectacular Duomo another gothic masterpiece is beautiful but very similar to the one in Ovorto. Siena has been a great place to wonder around, relax and reflect on where we are. Best off all they have so many geleti shops and they pile their geleti sky high. (Yum)


Florence another stop on our busabout route, we arrived at 2.30pm and had enough time for a much needed dip in the pool. The temperature in both Siena and Florence has been in the mid thrties and still at 5.30pm the temperature was 35 degrees. As it was we meet down at reception at 5.30pm for a group walk around the city and a dinner at one of the restaurants in town.

Florence was a nice town to walk around, with lovely buildings on every street and even lovelier shops (if only we didnt have a budget). Our guide gave us a quick orientation tour and we caught a glimpses of the fake David. We had a nice dinner and a few drinks then we were happy to head back to our airconditioned room.


The next day we waited for what seemed like an eternity for a bus that didn't ever seem to come, then once it did we got on and headed for the Galleria dell Accademia. We didn't have to wait long to see the famous sculpture David. It was amazing to think that Michelangelo carved the huge figure out of one single block of marble, I can also see why people say David is beautiful.

After that we went to the Plazza de duomo one of the worlds largest cathedrals, the outside captured my attention as soon as I saw it. Its beautiful red, green and white marble was more spectular that the one in Overtio and Sienna.

The next day we relaxed in our airconditioned room untill 12pm then went back into Florence town to walk up to the Pizze Michelangelo. The walk was diffucult in the 38 degree heat we were hot once we got to the top. But it was definately worth it, the views from the top over looking Florence was amazing and gave us an overview of the city.

On the way back to the camp ground we stopped at a geleti shop by the bus stop which I would definatly go back to, I had cookies and cheese cake flavours (the best yet).








Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The real DavidThe real David
The real David

I didnt take this, someone I know didnt read the no photo signs
OvertoOverto
Overto

Nuns


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb