Day 6 Leave the Swiss Alps going to Pisa and Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
June 15th 2023
Published: June 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

It’s time to swap snow for gelato as this European tour continues! We are leaving the mountain adventures behind and traveling towards stunning Italian vistas.

It’s another early morning! Breakfast at 6:30, leaving at 7:30, today is going to be a long travelling day! Another seat rotation - another day! The weather is lovely again, so a bit more vitamin D for everyone!

After 3 hours of driving, snoozing and watching a bit of a film on my iPad, we arrive at out first comfort stop. We have just travelled through the tunnel at Gottard Pass. The ‘over’ road would have been a more scenic, but a much longer route, so we took the 20 minute option - the tunnel.

Of the 5 Italian lakes, we pass a couple, the first being Lake Lugano. Not long after we leave Switzerland, and enter into Italy, very quickly followed by a lovely view of Lake Como. The change in country is very much reflected in the change of scenery.

On to Pisa!

As a distraction, Jamie, the tour guide, decided to do a general knowledge quiz. I was getting to the end of my film, so missed out on the quiz, and invested in my happy ending of the rom com!

At 12:45, it’s time for out lunch stop. We stop at a service station near Somaglia. We are making good time, and good miles across Italy.

Well, that was interesting! Great direction from Jamie, we all knew how to get served! That may sound strange, but there’s some things you benefit from knowing in advance!
FYI, if ever you need it!!
Step 1. Peruse the selection of food and drinks
Step 2. Find the payment point - it may not be obvious!
Step 3. Order and pay for everything at that point
Step 4. Elbow your way in through all Nonnas, men, women and children (except your fellow your companions) to slap your receipt in front of the server….be obvious, brave and bold!
TAKE NO PRISONERS AT THIS POINT
Collect your food
Step 5. Repeat the procedure at the drinks counter
Perfecto!
Thank you Jamie, it worked a treat!

It’s 14:50, we’re near Valmozzola, about 80 miles to Pisa. So many tunnels, and so much lush, green surroundings in every direction! Although it’s a long drive today, i can’t imagine doing it in more beautiful surroundings. Around an hour later, we drive on through to the Tuscany area…all still very beautiful. To our left you can just get glimpses of the Mediterranean Sea. It’s now visually obvious that we are on the Italian coast. The differences in the scenery are so evident to the change in country! Then we continue to head south.

We arrive at our next destination, The Piazza dei Miracoli.
That is the name of the walled area that is part paved and part grassed. It is the site for The Leaning Tower, the Duomo, the Baptistry, and the Monumental Cemetery.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a World Heritage UNESCO Site, this famous building is visited by tourists from every corner of the globe and considered to be an important centre of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world. The tower began to lean during construction in the 12th century, due to soft ground which could not properly support the structure's weight. It has since been stabilised, and the tilt reduced, but it still leans!

We all had great fun getting various funny photos. Some amazing variations came out of the we returned to our ‘train’ just in time for the return to the coach. Initially, I thought we wouldn’t have long, but we definitely did have plenty of time.

Next, we continue onwards, further into the exquisite Tuscan region - famous for wine, food, art and architecture. When we arrived, we settled in at the hotel in Montecatini Terme, a spa town north-west of Florence.

It was a very quick turnaround as half of the group, me included, are going up the hill on the funicular (tram up the hillside) to Montecatini Alto for our evening meal. As we got to the top, we were just in time for an amazing sunset. Perfect timing!

It’s 5 hrs later…. We had a really good evening. Good food, good company, and good weather in a beautiful place. What more could you ask for?

My only concern is that I can’t prepare for the morning as I usually do…, it’ll be a mad rush for me tomorrow !


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 25


Advertisement






Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.14s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb