Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 18th 2013
Published: May 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After the Garfagnana national park we booked into a campsite just outside of Florence for 3 nights. We spent 2 full days exploring the city. The first day we went to the famous Uffizi Gallery which displays many Renaissance masterpieces, the Vecchio Palace - well worth the effort if you want a crash course in ancient mythology - and the Piazza della Signoria filled with sculptures and tourists. The crowds were overwhelming. On the second day after getting in early to see David by Michelangelo at the Academy Gallery and inside the gigantic Cathedral we went across the river and walked along the quieter and more traditional streets to get a feel for Florence (away from Gucci stores). Florence was extremely busy but really rewarding with so much art, architecture and history to absorb.
Next on the Toscana itinerary was Lucca - a walled medieval city perfect for cycling. We rode the loop on top of the city walls then in the evening enjoyed a Puccini concert in one of the churches. The night we went the tenor performed Nessun Dorma which every football fan will remember Pavarotti performing at Italia '90!
Pisa and its iconic leaning tower beckoned. We had planned to stay a night but after failing to find the city campsite we managed to see the tower, the ridiculously opulent Cathedral and the university quarter and main piazza in one sunny afternoon...After those cities we stayed at a coastal campsite cycling, swimming, exploring the local market in nearby Cecina and playing table tennis. We then drove inland to San Gimignano. This is a town renowned for its many towers, 13 of which remain today. We climbed up the tallest and looked out onto haphazard, terracotta tiled roofs and green hills. Although the town was crammed with bus tour groups we sidled into a small, rustic wine bar for a traditional lunch of bruschetta with tomato and basil, meat and cheese, and a glass of Chianti. We also ate amazing ice cream from the 2009 world gelato championship winner!Our first day in Siena was a bit of a wash out so we weren't able to do everything we wanted. We spent the morning in the beautiful Cathedral gazing up at the ceilings, the walls and marble inlaid floors (and listening in to English tour guides). And spent the afternoon at a fabulous restaurant having a three course lunch and Chianti. Second day we visited the Civic Museum which was used as the Town Hall from the 1300s. The walls of the rooms were skilfully painted with interesting subjects including the unification of Italy, religious scenes and an allegory for Good and Bad Government (with Bad Government as a kind of vampire seated on a throne). When we came out there was a display of vintage race cars through the main piazza. Siena was a charming city and a good contrast to the crowds of Florence. And the Cathedral is the best we've ever seen!

Now onto the town of Montelcino and to track down an agriturismo for a traditional Italian meal at a farmhouse...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



19th May 2013

I can\'t believe you are still finding cathedrals better than the ones you have already seen!! They are all magnificent xx

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb