Ciao da Firenze!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Divus VespasianusDivus VespasianusDivus Vespasianus

Maybe Vespasian made them charge entrance to the Forum.
Greetings from Florence!

Mom and I are having a blast during our whirlwind tour of Italy. So far we had three days in Rome, one in Assisi, and now we're in Florence. Day 1 in Rome included the Colosseum, the Forum, the Palatine Hill, the other Imperial Fora, and the Circus Maximus. I was super confused and probably scared my mom by being utterly incapable of finding an entrance to the Forum. Yeah...last time I was there you totally did not have to pay to get in. Now you do. And that's lame.

Day 2 in Rome was a Vatican extravaganza. Of course, in true form, the Vatican extravaganza did not include the Museo Gregoriano Etrusco. This was my sixth trip to the Vatican Museums, and I have yet to see the Etruscan collection. One victory in it all was that this was the first time I got to see the Egyptian galleries, which had been closed on my previous five visits from 2001-2007. Also got some bitchin' pics of the column of Antoninus Pius base.

Day 3 went outside of Rome....to Cerveteri, one of the two major Etruscan cemeteries. This journey was not without adventure. Got to
Foro RomanoForo RomanoForo Romano

Glamour shot with my favorite trees in Italy.
the bus station by the Cornelia metro stop, and no one could tell me where to by tickets for the busses. Finally found a Tabacchi that sold them...after asking around for a good half-hour. Got to Cerveteri, saw the museum (small, but awesome), hiked to the cemetery (about 2-3 km away), and had a blast. Walked back around 3:30 pm to realize that all the shops were closed, including the one Tabacchi in town, and the Tabacchi (where I would need to buy our return ticket) did not reopen until 4:30. One bus to Rome came and went at 3:50. The time of the next bus? Why, 4:30 of course! Had mom wait at the bus stop while I stood outside the Tabacchi like a madwoman. Tabacchi finally opened, I sort of nicely pushed a little old woman with a lottery scratch ticket out of the way, and bought the tickets, ran back down to the bus stop, and we made it! I was running through scenarios of the Tabacchi being out of bus tickets and having to sleep outside until they got another delivery.

Anyway, that's plenty for now. Tomorrow we make our way to Vescovado!

Ciao
Love MeLove MeLove Me

Seen on the way to the Ottaviano metro stop
a tutti!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

ChiusoChiuso
Chiuso

Blurry shot of the "closed" sign for the Etruscan galleries at the Vatican.
Tombe EtruscheTombe Etrusche
Tombe Etrusche

Shot of some tumuli at the Banditaccia Cemetery, Cerveteri


15th June 2009

You have to PAY to enter the Forum now??? TOTALLY lame!! The semester I was there, we used to have class there almost every day . . .

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb