Tuscany?....Why not!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
February 1st 2007
Published: February 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nice cheap Ryan Air tickets and two students in need of a bit of travel combined to form a three day trip to Tuscany.

Arriving at Pisa airport early Monday morning, myself and Colin spent most of the day walking round the town of Pisa. For both of us this was our first time in Italy so it was very exiting. It wasn’t long before we stumbled upon one of the most iconic structures in the Europe, the leaning tower of Pisa. Even is it wasn’t leaning I would have been impressed, but as it was you can hardly take your eyes off it.

We then headed to Florence by train at a nice price of 5 euros. We spent the evening walking all round the city for miles and miles and saw the great sunset on the Arno which splits the city in two.

The next day we went to all the most famous parts that we had missed the night before (basically this time we had a map). We visited the massive Duomo Cathedral, made of white, green and pink marble, and decorated with intricate details and paintings; it was one of the most stunning buildings
Florence SkylineFlorence SkylineFlorence Skyline

The River Arno
I've seen.

Other highlights that day included the Piazza Della Signoria, a square in the city filled with statues including a replica of the statue of David. We toured the Uffizi art gallery which contained art by Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, only missing Donetello to make it all the turtles!

We later climbed to the top of a hill to Piazza Michelangelo, a lookout over the city which allowed you to see another perspective which couldn’t be gauged from the cramped streets and tightly packed building in which the choice of transportation is generally scooter with the odd mini cooper buzzing by, perhaps off to rob a bank.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Florence SkylineFlorence Skyline
Florence Skyline

The Duomo towers above the city


12th February 2007

culture
Being your very cultured big sis, I thought I should point out that 'Da Vinci' is not a turtle. You must have been thinking of 'Leonardo'.

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb