A walk in the forest


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Val Gardena
July 19th 2013
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 11 Friday July 19.

Last walking day before we check out tomorrow. The week has gone very quickly!

Again we join the easy group for a walk along the valley immediately behind the hotel – so no transport or gondola rides.

The valley is really like a box canyon, and the walk comprised 15kms and around 500 metres ascent and descent. For the first time we are walking in forest and it is totally different but enjoyable nonetheless.

As with other days we are among cattle as most of this is working farming /grazing land. All of the cattle have cow bells so its quite weird hearing them all as they chew away. The initial track in also included the 14 Stations of the Cross – carved skilfully out of tree trunks. There was some dispute as to whether there should have been 12, 14 or even 15 but Mr Google apparently suggested that 14 was a good number.

This path was a lot more accessible so there were many couples and families in the early stages – although these dropped off as the elevation increased.

An enjoyable walk through different country and Chris’ knee has just about settled. Lunch was by a babbling stream but because of the nature of the forest within the valley, the pics aren’t as clear as in previous days as all cameras struggled to deal with the varied lighting.

An interesting sight along the way was several groups of climbers ascending sheer cliff faces using via ferrata technique. Very gutsy stuff!

So tonight we pack as we leave by bus for Bolzano/Bozen for our overnight stay before the next big day of train travel on Sunday around to Cinque Terra.

Interesting museum in Bolzano and if we get the chance we will check it out and let you know.

Cheers for now


Chris and Ian


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



25th July 2013

Well done!
So pleased you were able to complete the walk, Chris. Scenery and flowers look fabulous Pam

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb