Visiting Ötzi in Bolzano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Bolzano
September 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Husband and wife self-portrait with Ötzi.Husband and wife self-portrait with Ötzi.Husband and wife self-portrait with Ötzi.

Although some believe Ötzi’s wife took the picture and this was 1 of 20 takes.
Ötzi is the 4,000 year-old ice man discovered in the Dolomites by a husband and wife hiking in 2001. Since there are often hikers who disappear and are discovered in the spring, they weren’t aware of the significance of their discovery until much later. Apparently, there was much fighting over the find between Austrian and Italian authorities, until it was proven that Ötzi was found 30 meters inside the Italian border. Ötzi’s discovery reset thinking about when the Copper Age actually came to Europe as he was discovered with an axe that had a copper blade. Apparently he had an untimely end, as he appeared to have died from an arrow to the shoulder and numerous cuts and then was preserved in ice for the next 4,000 years.

Aside from hosting Ötzi in the Museo Archeologico, Bolzano is known as a college town located about 30 kilometers from the Austrian border. It’s a bustling and cute little alpine town, where most of the residents speak both Italian and German, although German is more commonly used as they believe they’re more Germanic than Italian. All the proper names of the towns and sites have both the Italian and German names, like Bolzano/Bozen. Since everyone seemed to speak German, we transitioned to saying “danke schoen” rather than “gratizie”. We were not to be denied our last chance for authentic tirolian beer, wurst and strudel. Evidently, Brad Pitt has a tattoo of Ötzi on the inside of his forearm, but we aren’t aware of what connection he may feel. Any thoughts?



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



1st October 2007

Your Chargers needed you today!!
Drew can't believe the Chief's are going to beat the Chargers. He thinks it is because Uncle Chas is not there to support them. The score is 30 to 16 and 3:01 left. not looking good. Another first down for the Chiefs...
1st October 2007

Dissapointment
We arrived in Rome, walked about 5 miles, and got back to our room about 10:00 PM and are leaving at 7:45am for the Vatican, yet I stayed up until Midnight watching the game on the computer. When I went to bed the Chargers were winning 16-6, and I woke up this morning to the loss. I heard at the end of the game, Charger fans were chanting "MARTY! MARTY! MARTY!" I told Laura we're just going to stay in Italy, with the Soccer World Cup Champions. Viva Italia!
1st October 2007

Thanks for all your updates. It sounds like you are having a great time. You have missed some beautiful weather in LA, as we are still in Somis leaving tomorrow heading for Albuquerque. Carol is doing much better and more alert since her meds have been cut in half. ..seems pretty happy. Everything is statue quo here. No worries have a great time.
1st October 2007

Any news of Bad Monkey?
At least he wasn't around to siphon gas from the tank of the bus!
1st October 2007

Looks like you're all having a blast!! I'm not jealous of the food/wine at all.... yeah right I'm drooling sitting here looking at the pictures! I love Bad Monkey too! See you in a week!
1st October 2007

Go Red Sox!!
Send me a pitcher of German beer for Wed. Red Sox 1st game. Pics are great! Happy belated B-Day, Marge. I just found this website(I cleaned by desk!) See you soon.
3rd October 2007

Birthday Greetings!
Happy Birthday, dear Chassie Poof! I have the advantage of being in the "last" time zone, so this isn't "belated"!!! I hope this year is your best ever trip around the Sun, to say nothing of a great trip around Italy! Your wifie-poo and MIL should check their email too! The wedding events are happening--tonight was "meet the parents" at the Sheraton at sunset! Tomorrow is either the girls' wedding shower or the boys' beer at the beach bash...gosh, which one would you be attending???? Best love!!!!!
3rd October 2007

Good Times!
looks like you guys are having a great time. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAS". Have fun.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb