How possible is it to get a shark bite on a soccer field?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Bolzano
September 9th 2018
Published: September 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We once had an exchange student for a brief weekend visit and he was from Bolzano. He said it was a beautiful city in the Italian Alps that not many people outside Italy know about.
It is Tyrolean in character and totally bilingual-German and Italian. It is in the area that was ceded to Italy from Austria after WW I, then treated very badly during Mussolini’s rule. After WW II Italy tried to heal the wounds and unite this area, but it is very independent and would like to secede.
In the morning we took a cable car up the mountain to Sopranolzano/OberBolzen.
It is hard to describe the exquisite beauty of the day we had. The fog lifted from the mountaintops revealing clear views of the craggy Dolomites. The meadows under the cable car were green, the vineyards were laid out in orderly rows up the mountain. The air was so clean and crisp. The houses are Tyrolean, with slanted roofs and balconies and flower boxes. Just a pretty picture every way you looked. We took a train that ran across the top of the mountain between charming little settlements, just for the view. We got off at the end and then got back on again. Back in the town, we walked around and found a place for coffee and a sweet treat—plum cake or apple strudel. I had the strudel and it was the best I’ve ever eaten! We walked around some more, then took the cable car back down. At 2 pm we started a walk to the archeological museum, the home of Otzi, the ice man. Our fabulous guide Andrea told us that there was about as much chance of an Otzi surviving in his state as there was of getting bitten by a shark on a soccer field.
His remains were found just inside the Italian border—that’s how Bolzano got him. The series of coincidences that surrounded his death and a glacier forming over him permitted him to be preserved in a condition with skin and organs intact. It is a fascinating story and was really a thrill to see the remains in the freezer and all the artifacts that were preserved with him. The scientists don’t even know the extent of what they will learn from him and his DNA.
For dinner tonight we were taken to a brewery where we ate like the locals and tasted some beer. It was the perfect end to this stop on our tour in a very different part of Northern Italy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb