Piazza Amerina----Villa Romana


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Piazza Armerina
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

LicodiaLicodiaLicodia

Breakfast with Zia Vincenza became a pleasure we looked forward to each day.

Wednesday 10th September
Villa Romana - Whole family dinner

My parents and us were up and ready by 8.30am ready to drive out and visit Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina.

The great thing about the 3rd century Villa was that it was covered for many years, which protected it from an earthquake and just general aging. The majority of the Villa is covered with a Perspex roof which apparently is causing conservationist major concern as 80% of the mosaics are fading. The heat under that roof, on that hot day, was horrible. We were sweating profusely and started to run out of water very quickly. Once we started to look at the floor, we were also amazed to see a cut out section that showed us the floor underneath. There was a whole another mosaic floor underneath the fantastic one we come to see. The owner had decided to recover the original floor with another look. There were pictures of a hunting party, with many African animals and the details on the animal’s skin and saddles were amazing. My Dad had said it was the world’s first evidence of a bikini!! The bikini clad girls were actually athletes!!

My parents who had recommended this Villa were so annoyed when half of the Villa was closed for restoration till the following year!! Luckily we found a worker who told us in excellent English, that we’d entered from the wrong entrance and we’d missed half of the Villa. So back we went and found the rest. It was definitely worth the visit.

That night the whole of my mum’s family had organised to have dinner together for us at a local pizzeria. Dinner started with dark and light olive brushetta, followed by a wonderfully refreshing seafood salad and then pizza. Kurt had gone and bought a bottle of Johnny Walker but the waiter didn’t quite understand Kurt’s Italian. Before we realised what he’d done, the waiter had filled up heaps of glasses to service the scotch like champagne. So everyone had some scotch!! It was a great chance to take some family shots and chat.

During the meal I changed my seat 2-3 times, to enable me to talk to more people. I left poor Kurt talking to my cousin but I think he managed incredibly well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Licodia...Licodia...
Licodia...

Council....
Villa RomanoVilla Romano
Villa Romano

Moziacs we walked on!!!! well over 1600 years old.
Villa RomanoVilla Romano
Villa Romano

Mosiac of women in sporting atire!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb