Italy at last!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Maggiore
October 1st 2017
Published: October 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

View from our windowView from our windowView from our window

La vista desde nuestra ventana
About 10 years ago Dax told me he was going to take me to Rome as a birthday present, I waited and waited and the trip never actually happened. It became a bit of a joke with me complaining that he never actually had taken me to Rome and him laughing about it (although I was very hurt!). Fast forward 10 years and I have finally made it to Italy for my birthday! Not to Rome, but Italy none the less!

This is actually a double celebration as both my mum and I are celebrating 'big ones' this year. My mum is not a big traveller but she didn't have much choice on this as she didn't know we were all going to Italy until the previous evening! Fortunately, she was happy about going there and she ended up enjoying it vey much.

On Saturday, we woke up quite early to catch the flight from Gatwick to Milan. On arriving to the airport, we run to catch the bus to the terminal and we forgot to grab Ella's booster seat... which would cost us 36 Euros to hire one in Italy, nearly more money than the actual car... bohoo!

When we landed in Milan, the weather was great and we went to get our rental car: we had landed at terminal 2 and finding the car rental office was a bit tricky, it took us about 10 mins of walking around following very confusing signs. We finally located it inside the train station, only to discover that there wasn't any representative from our rental company in that office so we had to go to Terminal 1... why didn't anyone tell us that when we booked the car?!?! Quite annoyed, we found out there is a free bus that takes you to T1, but that meant we wasted another half an hour and we were already late for our meeting with the Airbnb host...

After getting our tiny car, we set off to Stresa... but we got lost twice, so we wasted even more time. Fortunately, the host was very patient and she was also being entertained by our friend Toñito, who lives in the area and we hadn't seen for about 8 years or so.

The house was very cozy and the views were amazing! We spent a lot of time on the balcony just sipping our drinks while admiring the lake. It was worth the trip there just for that view! We were also happy that the car was so small as otherwise it wouldn't have fit in the patio for parking!

We went to a restaurant by the lake, recommended by our host who said it was very nice and not too expensive; well, it was indeed nice but as to the price, it was quite expensive actually, but being the first day we didn't mind that much. We had delicious pasta, pizza and seafood while Ella was entertained by feeding the ducks from the table, as we were so close to the lake.

After that, Toñito took us to a smaller lake with a waterfall... but when we got there the waterfall was dry! However, the lake was very pretty and I was looking for the perfect photo and stepped onto some rocks in the lake without realising that one of them was covered in moss and I ended up with my feet in the freezing water. Luckily, Toñito had extra shoes in his car and, even though they were about 5 sizes too big for me, they were, at least,
View from our windowView from our windowView from our window

La vista desde nuestra ventana
dry. Walking in very big shoes we went to the supermarket to buy food for breakfast and were amazed at the amount of pasta that was on offer... I wish I could have had an empty suitcase just to fill it with pasta!

After going home to get dry shoes, we went into town to Paulon, the bar of another friend who also used to live in UK and now lives there, and for a short walk in the evening. The lake looks as pretty at night as it does during the day, with all the hotels illuminated.

After a very good night's sleep thanks to the massive bed, we had breakfast at home with the windows open, as it was warmer outside than inside the house. We drove to Baveno for a walk by the lake and decided to take a boat to see the three islands: Isola Madre, Isola Bella and Isola Pescatore.

It was a very warm day and also a Sunday, which meant that it was packed with people! I cannot even imagine how busy it must be in summer. The boat trips were short and enjoyable, however, the Italians are not the most organised people and they were pushing to get on the boats, as there was only one every hour from one island to the next. That was uncomfortable to say the least!

The islands are very beautiful, packed with houses and people. Madre and Bella had gardens you can visit at an extra cost so we gave them a miss and took a stroll around the islands instead. On Madre, we found a nice quiet pebble beach and had a snack there while three brave ducks came to us and Ella was feeding them by hand. On Bella, we had our first gelato... and it was one of the most delicious things I've ever tried! What a difference with 'normal' ice cream! Pescatore was the island I was most looking forward to as it looks really pretty from our window; it was indeed, very cute with the fishermen houses and boats. However, it was so busy that we could barely walk so ended up eating some sandwiches and pizza slices by the lake under the sun: at 25 degrees, it was enjoyable for a while, but I had to escape to the shade before we even finished eating!

We went home to rest a bit, as walking amongst so many people is actually very tiring and, after enjoying a coffee in the balcony, we went back to Stresa for a stroll by the lake and more gelato. We found a playground for Ella, but she decided to climb the slide from the sliding side and fell on her face getting a massive bruise on her cheek. She cried for a while but was consoled by the promise of more spaghetti for dinner, which we had at a terrace in a restaurant in town, for which we paid less that half of what we had paid the previous day by the lake, however, the food was equally delicious!

On Monday it was time to leave Stresa and fly back to UK, but before that we went to Toñito's house to have lunch there, which also has quite amazing views from the terrace.

So it was a very short break to Italy but I have finally been there and practised my Italian! We are definitely going back to Italy as we loved what we saw but it wasn't enough at all.


Por fin Italia!



Hace unos 10 años, Dax me dijo que me llevaría a Roma como regalo de cumpleaños, esperé y esperé y ese viaje nunca se hizo realidad. Se convirtió en una especie de broma el que yo me quejara de que nunca me había llevado a Roma como me había prometido, y él riéndose de mi enfado (aunque la verdad es que me dolió mucho). Adelanta unos diez años y por fin he ido a Italia a celebrar mi cumpleaños... no a Roma, pero sí a Italia!

Esto es en realidad una celebración doble ya que mi madre y yo celebramos cumpleaños 'grandes' este año. Mi madre no es una gran viajera pero no tuvo elección en este viaje ya que no supo que íbamos hasta la noche anterior. Por suerte, le gustó la idea de ir a Italia y acabó pasándoselo bien.

El sábado madrugamos bastante para coger el avión desde Gatwick a Milán. Al llegar al párking corrimos para coger el autobús a la terminal y nos olvidamos de coger el alzador de Ella... lo que nos costó 36 euros para alquilar uno, ¡casi más de lo que pagamos por el coche!

Cuando aterrizamos en Milán, el tiempo era estupendo y fuimos a recoger el coche de alquiler: aterrizamos en la T2 y encontrar la oficina de alquiler ya fue una odisea, estuvimos unos 10 minutos dando vueltas siguiendo señales muy confusas. Por fin la encontramos dentro de la estación de tren, sólo para descubrir que no había nadie allí de nuestra compañía de alquiler y tuvimos que ir a la T1... ¿por qué nadie nos dijo esto al reservar el coche? Bastante enfadados, nos dijeron que había un autobús que te lleva gratis a la T1, pero eso nos hizo perder una media hora más y ya llegábamos tarde para la hora que habíamos quedado con la casera de nuestro Airbnb.

Después de recoger nuestro minúsculo coche, pusimos rumbo a Stresa... pero nos perdimos dos veces, con lo cual llegamos aún más tarde. Menos mal que la casera fue paciente y estaba entretenida por Toñito, un amigo nuestro que vive en esa zona y al que no habíamos visto en unos 8 años.

La casa era muy 'cuca', y ¡las vistas eran increíbles! Nos pasamos mucho tiempo en el balcón tomando café y admirando el lago. Mereció la pena ir hasta allí solo por esas vistas. También nos alegramos de tener un coche tan pequeño porque si no, hubiera sido imposible aparcarlo en el patio.

Fuimos a un restaurante a orillas del lago, que nos lo recomendó la casera diciendo que la comida era buena y no muy caro; la comida sí que estaba buena, pero la verdad es que era bastante caro aunque como era el primer día, no nos importó mucho. Tomamos pasta, pizza y marisco mientras Ella le daba de comer a los patos desde la mesa, porque estábamos literalmente a orillas del lago.

Después, Toñito nos llevó a un lago más pequeño donde había una cascada... aunque al llegar allí estaba seca; pero el lago era muy bonito y yo estaba buscando la foto perfecta y salté a unas piedras dentro del lago sin darme cuenta de que una estaba cubierta de verdín y acabé con los dos pies dentro del agua helada. Por suerte, Toñito llevaba unos zapatos en el coche y, aunque eran unas cinco tallas más grandes, por lo menos estaban secos. Caminando con zapatos enormes, nos fuimos al súper a comprar comida para el desayuno y me volví loca al ver la cantidad de
Waiting for the boat at BavenoWaiting for the boat at BavenoWaiting for the boat at Baveno

Esperando al barco en Baveno
pasta que había... ¡ojalá hubiera tenido una maleta para llenarla de pasta!

Después de pasar por casa para coger zapatos secos, fuimos a Stresa a Paulon, el bar de otro amigo nuestro que también solía vivir en Guildford y a dar un paseo por el pueblo. El lago es tan bonito por la noche como durante el día, con todos los hoteles iluminados.

Tras una buena noche de descanso gracias a la cama gigante de nuestra habitación, desayunamos en casa con las ventanas abiertas, ya que hacía más calor fuera que dentro. Fuimos hasta Baveno para dar un paseo y decidimos coger un barco para ver las tres islas del lago: Isola Madre, Isola Bella e Isola Pescatore.

Hacía bastante calor y además era domingo, por lo que estaba a tope de gente... ¡no me quiero ni imaginar cómo estará en verano! Los trayectos en barco fueron muy agradables gracias al fresquito del lago, sin embargo los italianos no son muy organizados y hubo bastantes empujones para subir a los barcos ya que sólo pasaban una vez cada hora para ir de una isla a la otra y además eran bastante pequeños... fue bastante incómodo por decirlo de una manera suave.

Las islas son muy bonitas, pero llenas de gente y casas. Madre y Bella tienen unos jardines privados que se pueden visitar a un precio extra, así que en lugar de entrar, nos fuimos a dar un paseo por la isla. En Madre, encontramos una playita de piedras donde nos tomamos unos sándwiches mientras tres patos muy valientes salieron del agua y estuvieron comiendo de la mano de Ella. En Bella, nos tomamos nuestro primer gelato... y fue una de las cosas más ricas que he probado en mi vida, ¡menuda diferencia con el helado 'normal'! Pescatore era la isla a la que más ganas tenía de ir porque es la que parecía más bonita mirándola desde nuestro balcón y es cierto que es muy pintoresca con las barcas y casitas de pescadores; sin embargo, estaba tan llena de gente que casi no podíamos caminar y acabamos sentados a la orilla del lago comiendo pizza bajo el sol: a 25 grados, solo aguanté unos 20 minutos antes de correr a buscar la sombra.

Fuimos a casa a descansar un rato y tomar un café en el balcón; después volvimos a Stresa a pasear por el lago y tomar más gelato. Encontramos un parque donde Ella estuvo jugando un rato hasta que decidió subir el tobogán por la parte que resbala, se dio con la cara en el borde y le salió un moratón enorme. Lloró un ratito, pero se le pasó cuando le dijimos que podía tomar espaguetis otra vez para cenar, lo que hicimos en una terraza en una de las plazas del pueblo, y por lo que pagamos menos de la mitad de lo que pagamos la noche anterior al lado del lago, pero la comida estaba igual de rica.

El lunes, ya era hora de volver a Inglaterra, pero antes fuimos a casa de Toñito porque nos había invitado a comer.

Fue una escapada cortita pero bien aprovechada, por fin he podido practicar italiano y volveremos algún día a Italia porque ¡nos hemos quedado con ganas de más!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Having gelato at Isola BellaHaving gelato at Isola Bella
Having gelato at Isola Bella

Tomando gelato en Isola Bella
View from our windowView from our window
View from our window

La vista desde nuestra ventana


22nd October 2017

Congratulations
I'm glad you have finally made it to Italy and enjoyed the grand pasta's and pizza's. Italy is an adventure for the senses.
22nd October 2017

Congratulations
Thank you! It is indeed and we can't wait to go back and eat more delicious food!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb