Lake Garda in all its beauty


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Garda
June 9th 2013
Published: June 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Greetings all



We landed in a rain lashed Bergamo in the morning and picked up our hire car. The weather was truly awful much worse than the weather in the UK which is always depressing when you are supposed to be on holiday. The drive down to Lake Garda was in a torrential downpour, but we made our way to our first stop which was the medieval city of Sirmione. As Sirmione is on a finger shaped peninsular that juts out into southern Lake Garda it is really beautiful spot. Our first glimpse of the lake was like being at the seaside, the waves that were rolling in where huge and most of the low lying parts of the peninsular were flooded. Fortunately the rain eased in the afternoon and we were able to explore the stunning town that is Sirmione, with its ancient Roman ruins and medieval castle and walled city with tiny narrow streets, it’s a beautiful place.



Our plan for our 3 days in Lake Garda was to drive the entire route round the lake stopping at the picture postcard villages and towns that hug the lakes shores. The next morning the weather had eased and the sun was shining transforming Garda into the beautiful lake with its glacial green waters that you see in all the pictures. We had reservations to stay in Riva del Garda that night at the far side of the lake so we had all day to explore the eastern side. We headed out early through various quaint and beautiful towns heading for our first stop of the day in the town of Salo with its picturesque waterfront of beautiful villas and buildings and polished marble waterfront. It had a Mediterranean feel to it and was easily the loveliest waterfront of all the lake villages. We headed North around the lake and the scenery changed from a Mediterranean feel to one of rugged Alps as snow-capped mountains loomed over the lakes and cliffs hugged the lake shore. It was some of the most breath-taking scenery I have ever seen, especially as the sail boats were out in force on the lake.



We stayed that night in Riva del Garda at the very northern tip of the lake and it was probably my favourite place as here the scenery is at its best and it is a lovely town full of restaurants and bars with snow-capped mountains looming over you. Next day we were up early to explore the western side of the lake, which is full of breath-taking towns and also has some of the best beaches and clearest waters, the town of Malcesine with its castle and lookout tower afforded the best views we have yet seen of the lake. Everyone warns you that water of Lake Garda is freezing as it is very deep and mostly glacial melt water, and on 2 day trip round the lake I had not seen anyone swimming in it. As the sun was shining I decided that I had to take a dip, after all I sail in a northern reservoir back in England so I was use to cold water, and it did look inviting!!



I don’t think I lasted more than a couple of minutes the cold was like a sledgehammer to my chest and I emerged shaking with the cold, still it was very refreshing. Our brief trip round lake Garda was amazing and I will definitely return, although next time I am going to hire a sailing boat as the sailing on Garda looked epic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



12th June 2013
Sirmione

This one looks lovely
I went in lake garda, there were loads of people in it when we were there, although i think it was July and was about 30 degrees so a bit different. Bet the old veg didnt care for your dip in though.....Did Louise laugh at you?
12th June 2013
Sirmione

Yeh she thought I was mad, she only dipped a toe in
12th June 2013
Sirmione6

this combines 2 of my fav words
bar and gelatoria! this is a really lovely pic with the stairs.
12th June 2013
Malcesine11

very manly
looks beautiful water. we were on the southern side so less alpy and so i suspect the water was a teeny bit warmer....

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb