Day 57: Venice to Lake Garda (Camp Colditz)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Garda
April 30th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Deciding we had seen enough canals and churches it was off to the Northern Lakes district to visits the lakes and mountains of northern Italy. Leaving around 2pm as Pam had work to do we used the Autostrade again for a while to cover some miles, leaving the strada part way along at Ala we stooged across the top of the lake winding to a town called Riva Del Garde, it was manic. There was some push bike competition in town and being Saturday afternoon there were bikes for Africa. It was really mental and finding a free place to park for the night was not going to happen. Deciding on a camp ground we found a seemingly lovely spot called camping Bella Vista, not as the name suggests to be sure. It was to be re-named by us as Camp Colditz. Upon arriving at the front gate we were confronted with a stern looking German Gestapo type who immediately ordered us to stop, strange really because the gate was closed. After we told him we wanted a spot for the night he sternly ordered us to reverse and park, through yet another gate and to proceed to the reception. Looking at each other we thought oh well lets be cool and go with the flow. Proceeding in single file under the strict gaze of the bloke we came to call Himmler, we were marched to the reception where we were met with an equally stern looking German Fraueline who immediately demanded all three passports for inspection even before finding out what we wanted, this was turning into an unpleasant experience. Never mind we are now veteran Kiwi travellers and went with the flow, not much else to do as Frau Helga had our passports and was not inclined to give em back just yet. Finally booked in we were told to walk to the second street on the left and choose a site, we were then to return to the office and then to get the van, all under the watchful gaze of Himmler and the video cameras. Finally getting parked, still under the supervision of the little bloody kraut we were set for the evening, Wanting to let off some steam we took a walk along the lake, it was quite spectacular and very cold. In the morning we wanted to service the van again as we had planned some free camping we headed over to the service area where we were met by Himmler’s son this time, just to make sure we were doing things right, ahh big brother really was watching, it was great to leave believe me. Fellow travelers give this camp ground a miss is my advise it sucks. If the bike race was not on there would have been plenty of free camping spots around with many car parks and bus parking to be had, good for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb