Day 56: Venice Day 2 - Murano and Burano Islands


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 29th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Returning to Venice it was time to work out the canal and local water ferry service to try and get to the Islands of Murano and Burano not far away but forever when trying to work out the ferry service, there are about 10 different lines going to 10 different places and which one to catch was starting be a worry. Firstly it was trip up the grand canal to see all the palaces lining both banks, this was an education watching all the gondolas, ferries, freight boats and water taxis working the canals at the same time, it was a bit like a dance really. Arriving back at St Marks Square ferry terminal we caught the next boat out to Murano and after a 40 minute trip we arrived on the little island. Know mainly for its amazing glass works since 1300ad it. With much still to do it was then onto another overcrowded ferry out to distant Burano where the village is brightly painted. Lace cloth is the main industry along with fishing, strolling its streets and canals it was quite a pretty place. After around an hour we needed to get the ferry back to Venice to catch the last boat back to Fusina and the campground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb